Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled Accesories and Utilities. Cannot re-install them

• Please log in to reply

mercedes1

mercedes1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everybody.
By mistake I unnistalled some windows components, "Accessories and utilities". I did it using "Disk Cleanup".
I was left with an empty calculator shortcut in my toolbar. When I click on it, can't find calc.exe.
When trying to "Place volume icon in the taskbar" it shows this message: "Windows cannot
display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been
installed. To install it, use Add\Remove Programs in Control Panel"
When trying to install "Accessories and Utilities" from "Add/Remove Windows Components" it tells me:
"Some files on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM are neded, insert CD-ROM". When I do so
it tells me: "Setup cannot copy the file.... (all the accessories and games)"
Now I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but my original CD-ROM is SP 1a. I think that is the reason
why it cannot read the files from the CD-ROM. Is that the reason???
What should I do to recover my Accessories and Utilities???
Should I uninstall SP2. Re-install "Accessories and Utilities" from my CD-ROM SP1a and after that
re-update to SP2 from www.windowsupdate.com???
If yes. Can I please have details on how to do it safely???
Thank you very much for your time.
Have a great weekend. :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I beleive that the Windows System File Checker should be able to fix this.

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Create a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2 then SFC will work.

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

An excellent alternative is nLite. It allows you to merge SP1/SP2/Windows Updates into a new XP CD image that you can install from. Takes a bit of fiddling with but worth the effort since it also allows you to pre-answer all the questions asked during install so all you have to do is boot the new CD, select where you want to install, format or not and go to lunch. When you come back the install is finished and your are at the latest Service Pack and Update level. See here:
http://www.nliteos.com/

Use this site to get the MS updates:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

You can also get updates from an MS site but it takes more work:
http://windowsxp.mvp...saveupdates.htm

Hibachi

Hibachi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem, will that do the trick? I dont have a XP cd.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you don't have an XP CD, you won't be able to do any of the suggestions posted here.

What is the make and model of you computer? Does it have a hidden recovery partition or did it come with a recovery CD?

Hibachi

Hibachi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2, no hidden recovery partition, no recovery cd.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I asked for the make and model of your PC, not the operating system specifications. It will be Dell or HP or Gateway or eMachines and then a model number.

You are going to have to order a replacement recovery CD from the manufacturer. Prices vary from $15 to $30, depending on the manufacturer.