Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB wont work after SP2 Update

• Please log in to reply

jits

jits

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys i have a problem. I did my SP2 update on XP and now when i start up my computer my USB drives dont work. I have tried to uninstall them and restart my computer, but to no avail. I was wondering if there was something i did wrong when i did the update. Right b4 the update everything was working correctly, but as soon as i did the Sp2 no USB. Can anyone please help. Thank u in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi jits, welcome to G2G.

One possibility would be to uninstall SP2. That may bring your USB devices back to life.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

Before doing that though, let's see if we can figure out what is wrong.

How many and what USB drives do you have?

When you say you tried uninstalling them, do you mean you went into Device Manager and uninstalled them there?

jits

jits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well Ive got 2 in the front and 2 in the back, but i have a wireless hub on it. Yes i went into the device manager and deleted them then restarted my computer, still didnt work, then i uninstalled SP2 and now i have the USB back, but i guess no SP2 update. Is there anyway to do the update w/o losing ur usb drives? Thank you for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What make/model computer do you have or is it a home built?

In either case, check either the computer manufacturers web site or the mother board manufacturers web site for firmware updates (BIOS updates). There may be one that will fix the USB/SP2 problem.

jits

jits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It is a home built Ice CUbe. Im not sure what manufactur makes the motherboard on it. I will have to check the motherboard or box.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can run Everest Home Edition and it will tell you what the motherboard make and model is.

If you need help finding the firmware updates, post the info here and we can help.

jits

jits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Info from Everest home:

Motherboard ID 02/16/2004-Springdale-G-6A79AD19C-00

Motherboard Name Unknown

Im not sure if this will help, but its all it gave me.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That doesn't give me enough information to find anything useful on the Intel web site. I know it's a 865 (Springdale) Chipset family but that's about it. Need the board model number.

I guess the only way to get it is open the case and look at the board. The number is sometimes very hard to find, other times it's very evident.

jits

jits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay here is some more info on my computer:
The Ice Cube IC-VL67 is a barebones SFF PC system that measures 8.3 x 9.5 x 12 in. It features a socket 478 motherboard (Intel 845PE chipset, 2 184-pin SDRAM DIMM, 1 AGP 4x slot, 1 PCI slot), 220W PSU, 1 5.25" drive bay, and 2 3.5" drive bays (1 hidden).
Motherboard Features
- Socket 478 Motherboard Model: CF-EG65
- Intel 82865G + ICH5 chipsets
- Support up to 2 GB DDR400/333 DIMMs
- Integrated Graphics controller in 865G GMCH
- Support extent AGP 8X slot
- AC-Link with AC'97 compliant audio
- Realtek RTL8100BL 10/100 Base-T Ethernet controller
- Full Duplex supported, WFM 2.0 Compliant
- Serial ATA port

maybe this could help?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
After you update to SP2, install the newest Intel chipset drivers.

http://downloadcente...p;DwnldID=13499

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Cilix, I don't see the 845PE chipset driers there. I do see them here though:

http://developer.int...845pe/index.htm

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The model board, CF-EG65, is listed as the 865 on the north bridge and ICH5 for the south.

After a little research, it appears the first model SFF cube sported the 845PE, the latest revision Ice Cube IC-VL67 has the 865.

www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu_mobo/retired/s478/icevl67/index.shtml

Either way Jits, try out both links and see if that restores the USB connections.

jits

jits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks guys, but before i do that i just got a Vundo Trojan on my computer so i need to get rid of this before i can do anything else. Im not sure if i should do another post or if you guys can help me w/ that as well. Please advise.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That needs to be addressed in the HJT Forum. Please read this thread before posting a log in the HJT forum:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi,

I think I am having the same problem. I didn't notice it after updating anything though. All I know is that it stopped recognizing my camera, then my printer on any of the usb ports.

I downloaded evergreen and my motherboard specs are
MGM-ALL1.86C.1009.D.0412091118
Name Unknown

Front side Bus properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Width 64 Bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Props
DDR SDRAM
Width 64 Bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Props
Intel Hub Interface
Width 8bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Can someone let me know what drivers from intel to download? I would really appreciate it!