Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password on windows clock

• Please log in to reply

herrdragon

herrdragon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
greetings everyone, i'm in need of help writing a program to put a password on windows clock so nobody can change it.
i just star to use vb so i have no idea where to start. any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello herrdragon,

The task you wish to program an application to perform is already part of Windows XP functionality:
Go to Start | Control Panel Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy, navigate to Security Settings | Local Policies | User Rights Assignment, double-click "Change the System Time", and Add or remove users as desired.

Regards,

Ax

herrdragon

herrdragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Ax, thank you for help. in my case I can't do that since in every station there is only one user (admin) and each operator use the same one. Also I want to put this program at the server so no one can change it there either cause is the most important to have the right time. Beside, since I'm learning VB, it would be good if I can write something like that.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I don't mean to deter you in any way, but what you are essentially trying to do is reinvent the wheel. You already have the ability to set Group Policy settings from the domain controller that will propagate across a network.

Frankly, I don't think this is the best type of program to attempt to write when trying to learn VB.NET. You may get in over your head rather quickly attempting to write a program for functionality that already exists.

If you absolutely must use a different method, you can disable the clock by using the "Hide the Clock in the Notification Area" registry tweak from Kelly's Korner. I'd also advise you to remove permissions to access/read/execute timedate.cpl in the system32 directory on each system.

Ax

herrdragon

herrdragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Ax, that will do it at the stations, on the server i'll see other way cause I need to show the time.
I guess I'll start with simple stuff first onVB.

Thanks again.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Good, glad it will work out for you. Yes, if you start with something easier, you are more likely to finish it and have a sense of satisfaction that propels you to learn more. On the other hand, when you get in over your head, it's sometimes a most frustrating experience.

Cheers,

Ax