Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen With Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

alexkingsley

alexkingsley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I am new here, and am not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Here is how my problem started. I was trying to stop some programs from running on startup, so I did a Run, msconfig, and in the startup tab, dissabled some programs, and I think I dissabled something I shouldn't have, because as soon as I restarted my computer to put my actions into effect, I got a black screen with a blinking cursor.

So now, I am getting a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of my screen upon boot up. After the windows sign comes up, and loads, it goes to the black screen. While loading, I have 2 options. F2, and F12. F2 is Boot Configuration, or something like that, and F12 is System Configuration. I can access F2, but it isn't much help, but I can't even access F12, the computer just starts to beep, and then goes to the black screen, and nothing happens. If I continue to press F8, the computer will start to beep, and then come up with a black screen that says "keyboard failure." The keyboard is plugged in. If I wait on the "keyboard failure" screen for about 5 minutes, it proceeds to the "safe mode" options. The part that makes my think my keyboard still works is that the lights are on, and I can scroll with the arrows to pick a "safe mode" choice.

I tried restoring the computer to its last known good configuration, but that did not work. I booted in safe mode, and tried a system restore, and that did not work. I unplugged every chord in the back of my computer, and held in the power button for 10 seconds, and then plugged everything back in, and booted up. Everything booted fine, and I was excited, thinking that I fixed it. I shut down and restarted to make sure it was working correctly, and everything was fine, and I could use my keyboard. I shut my computer off, and turned it on again the next day, and it was back to the black screen with the blinking cursor. Can anyone give me some more suggestions to try? Thanks, and sorry this is so long.

Oh, and I have a Dell Dimension 4200. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to geeks To go.
Do you have an XP CD?
If so you can use the recovery console to fix your problem.
boot into recovery console, and at the prompt type
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

alexkingsley

alexkingsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do have an XP CD, but I have some files that I HAVE to get off of the computer. And I would just rather find a way to fix what I have done in hopes of gaining knowledge. Thanks!!!!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
That is what I am trying to help you with.
Please boot with the XP CD.
When the set up program prompts you to enter R to do a repair, Than at the prompt type
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

alexkingsley

alexkingsley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh yeh, sorry about that, my fault, I missed that part. I will try and get back to you. Thanks.

Teresa09

Teresa09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem, but my computer didn't come with a CD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Teresa09

Please start your own topic as this topic is two years old since the last post.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.