Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Was Sent By Mail. UPS Left It Outside All Night In The Cold!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well turns out my 120GB drive died last November. I sent it back to Western Digital and they didn't have any 120GB drives in stock so they sent me a 160GB drive instead. You won't believe this but the UPS postal service people didn't knock my door and left the box with the drive outside the front door to my home last Friday. It was there until I seen it on Saturday morning!

DID I FORGET TO MENTION WE HAD A WINTER STORM ON FRIDAY AND IT WAS - 1*c OUTSIDE!!! :)

I checked the tracking info on UPS' website and it shows that the drive was delivered to my door on last Friday at 4:15pm. & Well I didn't see it until the next day when I opened the door at about 8am. The box wasn't wet with snow but it sure was cold outside... The box was actually dry, there was no snow on or around the box since it was in front of the door and not on my lawn. I let the drive sit in my home so it could warm up to room temperature. Anyways I opened the box and tested the drive and it seems to work fine.

Should I keep this though? Is it bad that it was out there? Could it be damaged? How can I be sure to trust my data on it now?

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 04 February 2008 - 12:55 PM.

Advertisements

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
im not an expert with this , as long as it didn't get wet, im pretty sure that cold temps shouldn't hurt the hd. Atleast i dont think the cold would do much to it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It should be fine. BTW, after a drive is shipped you should let it sit for around 24 hours. It can be hold or cold in transit. It is good that you let it sit for bit.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check the temperature specs for the drive and see what the manufacturer says. If coldest temperature is much less than you said it was, then you're good to go. I think I would have called where I bought it before opening up the box, explained the situation about UPS' actions and requested a return authorization from them to get a new drive.

Ron

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Just make sure you check the non-operating specs. A Seagate disk, for example, can go from -40 to 70 C when not operating and 5 to 55 C when in use.

http://www.seagate.c...400.2_120gb.pdf

You disk may vary though. Also, it is the temp of the disk, which is hard to tell as there is some insulation in the packaging and the porch would also be warmer.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It gets to be -45 where I live and hardware is left outside. It's very important to do what Kemasa mentioned, let the hardware sit for a while. If you let it run when it's cold, some condensation could form and fry components.
James