Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm just looking for some support in deciding which RAM to buy. I want to order 2 GB of RAM from eBay, but am concerned whether or not the amount of pins matters. I have no idea whether or not I have any available expansion ports, but I'm willing to accept an upgrade to 3 GB if I can't go all the way up to 4 GB.

Below is what HP is telling me is compatible, but again, no mention of pins. What do you all think?

DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

Thanks...Bob

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
The pins do matter.

different pins go with different motherboards.

what pin does your motherboard support?

and i highly suggest NOT buying computer parts from ebay. Use newegg or tigerdirect.

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded Belarc and that seems to be a great program.

Quanta 30BF 69.23 is my main circuit board. I'm browsing Tiger Direct, how many pins do you suggest?

Appreciate it,
Bob

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I agree don't buy ram from ebay unless you know exactly what you are purchasing, go to crucial.com or corsair.com and run their memory configuator and get the correct memory for your system

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Go to Crucial.com

Scan your RAM, and details will be given to you, so you know what to buy.

From experience, I would get RAMs of the same brand, same volatge and same latency.

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I went to Crucial this morning and purchased the RAM suitable for my laptop. Had I known that crucial existed I would have had any problems at all....

However, will I need to alter my BIOS in anyway after simply replacing the memory modules, or should my Vista OS automatically pick up the change.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Your computer should pick up the changes by itself, you shouldn't need to do anything extra.

Troy

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I purchased a 4GB kit (2x2) and have just installed it on my 32-bit Vista OS.

Here is where I'm at. I've edited this post a couple times, so that my troubleshooting is as current as possible.

I've checked my System Preferences and my ram only reads 2750 MB. In my BIOS, it is only reading approx. 2800. The BIOS tells me that this RAM is represented with Video Memory included. So my current thought is that my nvidia graphics card is eating up 1.2 GB of RAM on me. That is my only explanation for my BIOS reading less than what is physically there.

I have individually checked both 2GB sticks and they both individually read in the BIOS at 2048 MB, so I know my full 4096 MB of RAM is accessible.

I have force enabled PEA/PAE, whatever its called using the elevated command prompt. No luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am looking into the specs on my graphics card and hoping to see 1.2 GB of RAM as a Device Requirement, at least that would be an explanation.

THANKS!!!

Edited by inf1n1t3, 07 February 2008 - 08:17 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I do believe the BIOS should be able to detect all your RAM properly. I'm thinking this could be one of two problems:

1) Your motherboard has a BIOS update available which will help it read the RAM properly, or
2) You have a faulty stick of RAM, in which case you can run memtest86+ to help diagnose.

Cheers

Troy

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks troy,

I had purchased my pc in august 07 and the most recent BIOS was from february 07. Those HP Updates sure don't install all critical or important updates I guess.

Annnnnyway,

4096 MB does now show up in the BIOS and I have 3006 in System Preferences. Is there something else I can do to bump that up another 300-500 MB? I still think there is more to be done for some reason....or am I to accept that my video card is eating approx. 1 GB of ram? (I realize my calculations mentioned in the previous post were way off in regards to my video card's RAM usage.)

In the meantime, I was able to undervolt my computer.....at least something is getting done.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you post your full system specs?
Depending on how many devices you have hooked up to your computer, number of hard drive installed the amount of video memory and so on can effect the amount of RAM you see on your computer.
James

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
http://www.notebookr...p;review=tx1000

That only difference between mine and that one is it is a 1.8 GHZ processor. Other than that its to a t.

Thanks for the look.

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Vista eats that 1gb...it is normal

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Vista's System Specs would still reflect that memory...regardless of what aero or other vista features are using.

I'm satisfied with my Specs reading 3006 MB right now, thanks for everyone's help. From what I've read, Vista SP1 is supposed to solve the problem of what the System Specs reads. From various sources I've read that the Specs will reflect the PHYSICALLY INSTALLED MEMORY following SP1.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel....I think.

Thanks everyone!