Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about deleting account on Windows XP w/SP3

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have Windows XP with SP3 installed. When I did the set up it by default I assume created an Administrator account and also at setup after asking my name appears to have created an account called Mark. I didn't realize this so I went through installing a lot of software, all under Administrator account. I then realized I have this second account and honestly don't need it. Both are set up as Administrator accounts. At bootup it even automatically logs into the Administrator account and never gives me a logon screen with the two names so it's far easier to use this Administrator account.
I have used Windows XP machines in the past but with SP2 and it has never made one of these Administrator accounts. Is this something that is new with SP3? This was a new computer I purchased so was a completely fresh install.
My question, I have read on google how to delete an account but I go to the Control Panel/User Accounts. I select the Mark account from Administrator but it doesn't give me the delete option. It either is not there or is greyed out. I even did a logoff and logged on as Mark. The odd thing is at this time it didn't give me the Administrator account, only Mark. I logged on Mark and whenI go to User Accounts Administrator isn't even listed as an account. is this normal? For now I know the simple thing is to simply let it log on automatically as Administrator and use that account all the time but to make sure there's not an error I'd like to delete the Mark account. Is this possible or is there something wrong with my install?
Thank you for any help with the above.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Administrator account, by default, is only available in Safe Mode.
When you add another account, Administrator becomes hidden in normal mode.
If you are using the Administrator account in normal mode, this is not a good idea.
For your situation, this might be of interest to stop the computer going in as Administrator all the time, though you won't be able to delete this account.
http://wiki.ljackson..._Userpasswords2

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 February 2008 - 05:28 PM.