Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Insanely Messed Up, (slow beyond belief)

• Please log in to reply

Intermission

Intermission

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, firstly the computer I'm on about hadn't been on the internet for a while. I moved it to my room where therer wasnt a connection and I just used it for music and art, etc.

Then fairly recently I decided to get a wireless adapter, etc. I had the internet, now I'm here. One problem was that I never really paid much attention to the fact that I should probably sort out security first since it had long since ecpired and been ignored, but I didn't!! I was so used to not having to worry about the internet!!

So loads of stuff happened, now It's slowing up for everything. Even windows explorer fails to run smoothly, just to get to the first page of my documents or my computer..

Anyway. Thats the problem. Another annoying one is that I'm utterly failing to install security. I used to have norton antivirus before I moved it, and recently I bought norton 360 which apparently looks better. So.... it wouldnt run after I installed it, and advised me to retry. I've done that quite a few times, uninstalled as well as I could. I'm fairly knowlegeable about using computers but not *that* knowledgeable!! I don't go very deep at all.

I really don't know what's up. It was critically low on hard drive space a while back (down to a number of megabytes due to excessive music making) but thats sorted, so I doubt thats a factor right now.

I really need suggestions about how I can sort this, if anyone needs further information just ask, I need to sort this out!! Its irritating the [bleep] out of me!

thanks, hope that was clear

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Norton 360 probably has something to do with it. Lack of computer memory also can cause this.
Go to the Start Menu -> right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. What text do you have on this screen?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds suspiciously like malware to me. Read through this area:

Cleanup Your System.

This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log here:

Malware Removal Forum.

Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient, this is a very active anti-malware site and the malware removal experts are extremely busy. It can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.