Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc wont boot into windows

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok here is my issue. I am working on a dell optiplex gx400. 640mb of ram.
I added an extra harddrive to the computer, a maxtor 120gig drive.
The previous harddrive is still in the computer, but it is not PLUGGED in, meaning nothing is attached to it.
The IDE cable and the power cable is attached to the maxtor.
The jumper settings i assume are correct because i can enter the bios.
I am using the primary (master)(black) interface cable with the maxtor harddrive.

The screen the computer freezes on is the screen which gives the options of

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I know this screen looks familar.

When i click the option start windows normally because i have no idea why that screen came up, it just freezes.
If i select teh safe mode option, it freezes also. Basically, it would not boot up into windows.

This harddrive does have windows loaded on it because i removed it from another computer.

I did also try hooking up the old harddrive and it boots up fine.
When i connect the maxtor 120gig, it does not boot up into windows.

If i did not explain things clearly enough, please let me know and i will clarify. Does anyone know what could be the issue??

I just did some more troubleshooting..
I took out the maxtor harddrive and replaced it in the computer i took it from. It loaded without fault. I tried it again in the optiplex GX400 and after it showed the name of the Computer... the dell screen, with the option of going into setup etc, it stays black. Does this mean that the hard drive is not compatible with the computer??

Edited by mrq201, 05 February 2008 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I just did some more troubleshooting..
I took out the maxtor harddrive and replaced it in the computer i took it from. It loaded without fault. I tried it again in the optiplex GX400 and after it showed the name of the Computer... the dell screen, with the option of going into setup etc, it stays black. Does this mean that the hard drive is not compatible with the computer??

Hi there,

This means the OS on your Maxtor HDD is not compatible with the different computer. This is easily fixed by running a repair install of the OS. You can find a great tutorial on this website if your OS is Windows XP - click here.

This will have the OS load from the Maxtor HDD on the different computer.

Cheers

Troy

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I really dont know why this happened, but i will try it and let you know what happened.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Ok i tried to run the repair... everything was running smoothly, that is setup was copying files until it stopped at certmgr.dll. Then it said

setup cannot copy the file: certmgr.dll

To retry press enter

If you are installing from a cd, make sure the windows xp cd is in the cd-rom drive

To skip this file, press esc

Caution, if you skip this file, setup may not complete and windows xp may not work properly.

To quit setup press F3.

Is the xp cd corrupt? Should i try gettin another copy of windows XP?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried cleaning the disc?