Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply and CPU Fan stay on

• Please log in to reply

Heatseekr

Heatseekr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Some background on some issues I have been having with this computer...

Powerspec 8350

Power Supply - changed 2+ years ago to Arrow 500w max
Video Card - Radeon 9550 AGP 256mb
1 Gig ram - 2x512s
PCI Modem
PCI ethernet card - one onboard didnt work right when i bought machine
Samsung writemaster DVD rom - now unhooked
Samsung 52x cdrom

I have recently had a lot of issues with this machine -

Worked fine then one day ...

Didnt recognize hard drive at all
No HDD in bios or anywhere

after leaving for a while and turning back on - all was fine - for a few days...
then same problem

tried new HDD - would recognize - but wouldnt boot up cuz of OS...

Ran diagnostics on old HDD and determined it was bad.

----------------

Next had problem where computer would turn on (cpu and psu fans running) but nothing on screen - just black. No beeps, no drives spinning, just black.

This is what happens now when I shut down - xp shuts down correctly and drives stop spinning, but cpu and psu fans keep running. Green light on front of machine stays on.

After removing cmos battery and putting it back - it would boot once - to tell me that the OS wasnt right (hard drive was from different machine - needed to reinstall xp.)

Began installing xp - couldnt use restore cd's from machine - i guess it thought it wasnt the right machine since bios had changed? and HDD and video card and memory i have are different than was original. So I used a different oem xp cd with codes from this computer which are on the sticker on side of case.

Tried repartitioning and formatting drive with xp cd - would go thru process of formatting to 100% then say that it couldnt reformat drive - possible drive error problem...

Ran multiple diagnostics on this drive which all were good.

Bought a new cmos battery and all seemed better now. Would reboot without having to take battery out each time. Formatted Drive - no problems...

Began copying files and then - Error copying a certain file... skip - retry - abort...

Tried again - same problem.

Switched from DVD burner to 52x CDrom Drive - unhooked DVD drive. Everything ran good - copied all files... Installation Complete...

Downloaded Windows Updates... Installed Updated Drivers... All Is Going Good...

--------------------------------------------------

But when I shut down - green light and fans are still running. I can push power button on front of machine at which point it starts back up. Only way to turn off completely is by Switch on PSU in back.

So - is this something that could be caused by a bad Power Supply? or a setting in the BIOS which was maybe lost due to the cmos battery going bad?
I dont have any xtra Power Supplies laying around big enough to do any good so will have to buy new one - if that is the most likely cause.

Thanks for any help - or ideas.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I would look at he capacitors on the motherboard ( and psu if you can see in )... they are the can-like objects... look for bulges or leaking... if you have that the component they are on is bad and needs to be replaced.... having said that it really sounds to me like you have a dying motherboard... it could however be a powersupply and that would be the least expensive thing to replace.....