Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question:PC states 256mb of RAM when i have 512?

• Please log in to reply

Impulz

Impulz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have recently reformatted my brothers computer.

I know its has 512mb of RAM yet when i click>Start>right click on 'My Computer' it now states at 256 as below in the picture.

Does any one know why this could be and how else can you chech what RAM you have?

Any help: thnx!

Attached Thumbnails

• comp.JPG

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Try opening up the computer and putting back the ram- switch slots as well- make sure the computer can also hold up to 512 mb of ram- some older computer cannot go that high to hold that much memory and if it can make sure its the right type of memory compatible for your computer :tazz:

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Try opening up the computer and putting back the ram- switch slots as well- make sure the computer can also hold up to 512 mb of ram- some older computer cannot go that high to hold that much memory and if it can make sure its the right type of memory compatible for your computer ;)

View Post

It displayed 512 prior to the reformat so im sure it can handle it, plus i can feel the 512 working as 256 would be slow.

I might have to take up the suggestion of removing and replacing the stick to see if that will restore it.

This is very strange! :tazz: ;)