Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag sooooo slow

• Please log in to reply

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I would like to konw why my defrag soooo slow, i started it last nite about 5 ish and its been on all nite but its only done 23%, there must be sumthin up it cant take days to do, can it? Is there any way of speeding it up, I was running the defrag in Safe Mode also, thanks, Dave

System:

AMD Athalon XP 2.4 GB
1024 GB DDR SDRAM
120 GB HD
128 MB GeForce MX4000

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why were you running it in safe mode?

You could have a disk error that is slowing things down. You might consider a chkdsk

start > run
command
enter
chkdsk /r

How much freespace is on the disk? If you have less than 15 percent of free space, your defrag will be VERY, VERY SLOW since windows cannot move files around easily, and will have to move things two or three times

Finally, the first time you run defrag if you haven't in a long time, it will take a long time. Successive defrags take far less.

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Havent tried the check disk but I will, as for the free space its about 26 GB free so dont think thats the problem and yes I was in safe mode

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but that is about 20 percent, so you're getting to the area where things will slow down on a defrag....off loading some of those files might have improved the defrag.

When you analyzed it, what was the percentage of fragmentation?

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Its only 5%

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
doesn't sound too bad.

I assume you are still running...let it finish, then run chkdsk as you were going to

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I left Norton Speed disk do the job but when it had finished it now says that 13% is fragmented? weird..what going on?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
norton and windows do not measure fragmentation the same way, if you go back to the windows defrag, you will find that worse.

Stick with one and defrag several times the first time.