Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to share files on a home network?

• Please log in to reply

Nate7410

Nate7410

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a desktop PC and a laptop both connected to DSL through a router. I want to be able to browse the desktop PC from the laptop, so I can transfer files from the desktop the laptop. I've seen it done at other peoples' houses, I just don't know how to set it up.

Both are running Windows XP... the desktop is Media Center edition and the laptop has XP Professional.

I've looked online and I've been unable to find good instructions. If someone could please explain it, I'd be grateful.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
First I would like to advice you that any files you share can be viewed by any one who has access to your network.
With that said, after you read the instruction in the link that I am providing. It is easier to set up one folder to share , and move what you wish to share in to that folder.
Please go here to learn how to share folders.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also give Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.

Nate7410

Nate7410

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I followed that tutorial, up until this point:

3. Type in: ncpa.cpl :and press the OK button. This opens the Network Connections Window.
4. Locate your Connection Type (Ethernet) and right click on to select PROPERTIES.
5. Click on the GENERAL tab.
6. Click the INSTALL button. To launch the “Select Network Component Type” window.
7. Click the ADD button. To launch the “Select Network Service” window.
8. Highlight the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” and click the OK button

I don't see the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks." Does anyone know how I can get that?

Thanks.