Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tornado Outbreak

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Hey I used to live in Tampa(well hour south)

That would be Sarasota? Where you there for any of the storms that we had in 2004-2006?

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Yup I lived in Sarasota and yes I was there in 2004 - 2006 ( at least the summer of 2006 ), of course allot of hurricanes passed through in the 14 years I lived there but (thankfully) far enough away to where we didn't have to face the full brunt of the storm and calm enough to the point where I could go outside with a huge bed sheet and fly with the strong winds ( Thats really fun :) especially when I was 6 - 7 years old later I didn't fly as well )of course when I was in Naples during one it was terrible, after the hurricane almost all the homes had caved in roofs etcetera.

Edited by Suerte, 07 February 2008 - 01:45 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron, after 2 1/2 years, you're STILL in the FEMA home?? :)

Still in one. Have been moved 10 times since Katrina and this is my 4th FEMA "home". It's about 28 ft by 7 ft and I've totes stacked to the ceiling. :) Haven't sat on the couch since I moved into the last one.

Some day. :) :)

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 15 February 2008 - 03:14 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

:) Gosh, I realise how blessed I am to be in my cosy little home with wonderful weather. I suppose when you've grown up in such weather conditions you become somewhat blase about the effects. You must be a tough bunch! :)

We Australians can cop it too sometimes, Frantique! On Wednesday we had a massive downpour of rain, it started like instantly and poured for three hours non-stop. It was horrible driving home in the rain, the highway was at a crawl, with many cars pulled over on the side. The next day on the newspaper front page was a boy who had drowned. He got sucked into a stormwater grate and couldn't get his leg out, all rather horrible if you ask me. And this was one suburb away from where I was working! The carpark was starting to flood and water was pouring through the roof (on the inside), so they closed early.

I know it's not quite a Tornado, but still, flash flooding... :)

Troy

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Ron, after 2 1/2 years, you're STILL in the FEMA home?? :)

Still in one. Have been moved 10 times since Katrina and this is my 4th FEMA "home". It's about 28 ft by 7 ft and I've totes stacked to the ceiling. :) Have sat on the couch since I moved into the last one.

Some day. :) :)

Ron

Ron:

I picked up this information on the FEMA Trailers yesterday from the Associated Press: Thought it may be releavent to the discussion

FEMA Trailers contain Toxic Fumes

Scary.......

Brian

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ron:

I picked up this information on the FEMA Trailers yesterday from the Associated Press: Thought it may be releavent to the discussion

FEMA Trailers contain Toxic Fumes

Scary.......

Brian

Now you talk about a coincidence!!! Today I had a notice taped to my front door window about this very same subject with all the CDC and FEMA telephone numbers to call for more information.

Mobile homes have ALWAYS had the formaldehyde problem since they've been building mobile homes. There have been dangerous levels in these homes since the last 40 years or so as I've lived in many of a mobile home. The worse was always a new home. Even regular homes which have certain new carpets installed had the problem.

They are trying to scare us into moving when the problem has been recognized for decades and is not a problem to just the FEMA supplied mobile homes, but ALL mobile homes! The levels do decrease with the age of the mobile home, but they are getting tired of us being in these FEMA supplied homes because of the cost.

But as you know, FEMA has wasted billions in disaster funds. 363 million dollars was sent to MS as Phase one/two assistance, but over 200 million dollars has not been distributed and probably never will be. This is money that was SUPPOSE to go to the INDIVIDUAL. The money was sent to Jackson and has not been passed on. The ones who really needed help never were eligible for any of these two phases and these are the people who are still in mobile homes.

My sister got over $99, 000 because she was a homeowner. I, a renter, got nothing because I wasn't eligible. Many are in the same boat. Not many people realize that if the money had gone directly to individuals, those billions would have been a lot more effective.

MEMA here has received over $260 million for the Katrina cottages. Yet that money can only build so many cottages to help just a few families. Forget how many were still in mobile homes here at the time money was sent to MEMA, but if you divided the money by ones in these mobile homes at the time, we all could have moved out of state and bought new homes! Each and everyone of the ones in mobile homes they were complaining about could have been help.

**Ron steps down offf soapbox. :)

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Wow Ron, never known you've been through all of that... I have to say that you've got a point there, but I can't really judge, can I?