Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open attached email messages in Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm working on a problem where when I have an email attached to an email in Outlook 2003 it will allow you to open it once but when you go back in to try and reopen it, it will give the error: Operation failed. If you close Outlook and reopen it will open fine but then will error out once you retry to open the same attachment.

This machine is a Windows XP Pro PC running about a gig of ram. I believe the problem with with Adobe 8.0 Standard that was just installed on it because the problem began after installing adobe. I have read that a plug-in on Adobe may cause the problem but I have no idea what plug-in it might be.

I have also tried removing the outlook profile and readding. deleting the frmcache file and deleting the files in the OLK folder.

Anyone have any ideas as to what plug-in I might look for in Adobe?

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Mayor McCheese,

Sorry for the late response. You can try to disable the Outlook PDFMaker. You can do this by going add/remove programs and select Acrobat and choose. Otherwise, you can unregister pdfmoutlook.dll.

The command to run from the run window would be similar to the following:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\PDFMaker\Mail\Outlook\PDFMOutlook.dll"

Where the blue text is the actual path to the file.

Regards,

Ax

duscjj

duscjj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We are having this same problem on all our PC's with Acrobat 8 Standard. We can fix it by changing the reg key

To prevent the Acrobat PDFMaker COM Addin from loading, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\PDFMOutlook.PDFMOutlook and change the LoadBehavior value from 3 to 2. Restart Outlook. The PDF functions will still be available in Word and the other Office programs. Note that installing Acrobat updates may reset the registry key.

I am on hold with Adobe now, but do not expect to get a resolution on how to actually fix the problem. Anyone know how to keep the Adobe toolbar active, yet not get this error opening msg attachments a second time??

NyMig

NyMig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
duscjj, thank you! We've been struggling with this issue for a few weeks.

duscjj

duscjj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have updated our Adobe all the way to 8.1.6 and it looks like it has resolved this issue.

Here is a batch file you can use to update all the updates without rebooting and have it run passive.

C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro810.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro811.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro812.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro813.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro814.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro815.msp /passive /norestart
C:\Acrobat8Upd\Acro816.msp /passive /norestart