Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi,

My computer froze and suddenly wouldn't recognize anything I plugged into the usb ports. When I plug in a camera, jump drive, or printer either nothing happens or it states that my hardware cannot be recognized. It mentions that there isn't a driver for the item plugged in when the pop up comes up (happens only some of the time).

I have tried reinstalling my camera drivers (originally i thought it was just my camera) to no avail.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my usb hubs and scanned for new hardware changes to no avail. I have gone through the microsoft checklist as well. On the device manager there are no exclamation points or problems indicated. All say that the driver and that the port is running properly.

There doesn't appear to be any irq conflicts either.

I downloaded evergreen and my motherboard specs are
MGM-ALL1.86C.1009.D.0412091118
Name Unknown

Front side Bus properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Width 64 Bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Props
DDR SDRAM
Width 64 Bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Props
Intel Hub Interface
Width 8bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

The north bridge is an intel montara-GM i855GM and the
south bridge is an Intel 8280 1DBM ICH4-M.

Where should I go from here?

Advertisements

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
My laptop is a Gateway, model M4520GZ. I actually ran Everest, sorry, not Evergreen.....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello again :)

When you say I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my usb hubs do you mean you did this in Device Manager?

You can give this a try:
  • Open regedit. Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • Export the key for backup. Delete any value named "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters" (Only exact match!).
  • Reboot
Check other ControlSets if this doesn't fix it.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello again :)

Sorry, I am a little slow on the uptake.....

I looked up the line you have on regedit, but couldn't find the line HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I found similar ones controlset001 and 002.

I only deleted the usb hubs through the device manager and not through BIOS.

Thanks!

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
There are upper filters present in the control sets 001, 002, and the current control sets.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Should I delete the aforementioned line from control sets 1,2, and the current control set? I just want to make sure before I do it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to restore the system to a date before the problem started? Please do.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have created a restore point for today and I have also made back ups of the registries for control sets 1,2, and the current one saved to my desktop.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Don't you have older system restore points which can be use? Go to: system tools > System restore. Check Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time. If the Restore option was enabled then you should have several restore points marked in bold letters. Chose one that was created before the problem started and restore to that date.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry, I am a bit of a ding a ling today :)

I ran the restore point to an earlier date twice with no luck in the recognition of the usb ports. It still thinks my printer is offline and it doesn't recognize my key when plugged in.

After the first time I restored it gave me an error message stating, "Changes made to drive f: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring or was turned off or removed". After running it a second time (to an earlier date) it did not give me this error message.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lisa, since you've exported the keys, try deleting them from Current, then 001 and lastly 002. Do them sequentially and reboot after each to see if there are any changes.

You can always restore them using Import in regedit if things get messed up. I have a vague memory of having drive letter assignments changing but since my memory is dodgy at best I may be wrong.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I deleted the upperfilters on the current controlset and rebooted. Once up and running I got a message requesting restart so new drivers could be installed. I then rebooted and tried using my printer with no luck. When I went to delete out the upperfilters on control sets 001 and 002 (I checked them before and they were there) there weren't any upper or lowerfilters to delete.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
For a time it looked like my camera was going to work until it popped up with this weird message stating that I had my camera plugged into a slower speed usb port and to change it to one of the other hi speed ports. When I rebooted and tried to get it to recognize my camera it wouldn't.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So that didn't help. Restore the registry values you saved and we'll have to continue to work on this, though I'm not real hopeful.

You may be at the point where a Repair Install is warranted.

Do you have any way to backup your important data? If so, now is the time to do it. A Repair Install will not mess with your data but things can go wrong so it's best to have a backup.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I will start to prep the computer for backup, rearrange files, etc. For some weird reason I can't find my backups for my registry. I know I saved them to the desktop, but they aren't there and no searches can produce them.

I am hoping that the upper filters aren't that important.