Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lisa, they should have been saved as .reg files. They are not critical, it may take a few tries to get everything back as it was but that is all.

Advertisements

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I was able to bring the old registry up via the restoration point.

I was not able to backup the computer by the system tools for some reason. It gives me an error message for some unknown reason.

I actually uploaded whatever important files (documents, etc) by emailing them to myself on gmail since I cannot back anything up to an external drive because my usb ports aren't working.

When I start the restoration from the original Gateway disk submitted to me, it states that it will erase all data (I haven't proceeded with this). I know through your protocol it states that it will keep the data files, but I am mentally prepared that this may not be a possibility.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the Gateway recovery CD is a full wipe and load. Good that you have your important data saved.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I rebooted with my recovery disk that wiped the computer clean.

My usb ports are now recognizing that something is plugged in but can't recognize what the devices are.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do any of the USB devices need a driver?

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sometimes they say they need drivers, but when I try to install them I get that they cannot locate the drivers on the disk. This is the case with my camera-which on my other new computer does not need any drivers to upload pics from it. My lexar flash drive does not require drivers either on my new computer to function. I never installed anything for the camera or the flash drive on my currently dysfunctional laptop before. it always worked without drivers.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What service pack level are you at now, SP1 or SP2?

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I haven't even connected it to the internet for redoing windows updates. I used to have the SP 2 until I recovered it today. I am going to check now for the update info though.....

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have installed SP2 for the windows updates. It froze in the middle of installing it, but I checked and I think it is working okay. The usb ports however are still not bringing up anything.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sounds like it's not just your devices that may need drivers, but the USB ports themselves.
First, remove all the USB devices from the computer, save the keyboard and mouse, if they are USB.
On a computer that is working, or if your computer has a connection to the internet, go to support.gateway.com and enter your serial number into the box. Then click on Driver Downloads. Under "Motherboard Downloads", there should be one download. Download it to your computer, and install it using the provided instructions. Reboot your computer once it is installed (still with no devices plugged in) and then try your devices.

Advertisements

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Good idea!

I installed the intel chipset motherboard driver for my notebook and rebooted. It picks something up, but won't still recognize it :)

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I tried this with my camera and I just finishing reinstalling my canon printer. It doesn't recognize either.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lisa, I've asked some of the other folks here to take a look at your problem, see if htey have any ideas.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Are there seperate drivers for the USB controller at the gateway website?

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Having read this thread, it appears that you have done the following:

Reinstalled Windows XP
Updated fully to SP2 and the 86plus additional updates via MS Update
(you encountered some difficulty when installing SP2 and or updating. Have you gone back to MS Updates to check for additional updates?)
Checked Device Manager and find no warnings
Installed Intel Motherboard Chipset
(there are often "specific" chipsets for LAN, Audio, USB...... did you install them all?)

How many USB ports does this machine have?
Are you getting the same dysfunction when connecting to each?

Reinstalling XP should have satisfied any operating system error.
But you might still benefit from running Windows Protected File System - System File Checker
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <-- notice the space between "c" and "/"
SFC should run a complete scan in 10 - 15 minutes and will call for your XP CD if it identifies any missing or corrupt files.
Let us know if it does identify and replace anything, and if that makes a difference.
If SFC only runs for 1 or 2 minutes and then disappears, it did not fully run/scan the entire system.

Again, reinstalling XP should have satisfied any operating system errors, but you might benefit from running a drive fitness utility from your Hard Drive manufacturer's website
Or.... run CHECKDISK . Start - Run (type)chkdsk /r

Is it safe to believe that you are running your machine on A/C power and not just from battery?