Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help focusing on work.

• Please log in to reply

animosity

animosity

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So pretty much every time i get on the computer to do something that i dont necessarily want to do, but am required to do, like take my GED practice exam (what i was going to do right now), I just get distracted. I find myself doing something or multiple things that arent related to the tasks i was trying to achieve by going on the computer in the first place.
I've tried using the windows guest account so i couldnt access 75% of my distractions on here but that didnt work.
I want to be able to accomplish WORK on my computer in a distraction free (or close to it) environment.
and i was wondering if there were some kind of software that could restrict access to nearly everything on my computer besides a select few applications?(ms word, test taking software, calculator)
something that would allow me to put my computer on complete lockdown from fun for a set duration of time.

I might just partition and re-install vista for work only. maybe put up some web restriction software as well....

any ideas???

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I don't know of any software that can do that. You need to force yourself to focus. Give yourself breaks, and rewards. Set a timer if you have to. For every hour that you work without distracting yourself, give yourself a reward of fun distractions. Take breaks in between work "sessions", so it doesn't seem as daunting.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is a matter of focusing on your goals.
May be this will help.
I have a high school diploma. I am 45 years old. I make $7.50 Per hour.
Do you want to be me?

Jujuju

Jujuju

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
No software.
Just try to concentrate. Imagine that it is the WORK OF YOUR LIFE and you love it.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I don't believe in ADD, I think you are just weak and looking for an excuse to slack off. Either that or you just need to admit to yourself that what you are doing is not what you want to be doing.

Do or do not, there is no try.

If you are at work and your mind wanders to other things, then you need to find a new job. The one you have is not for you. If you are in college and you cannot concentrate on your work, find a new topic of study. Either that or get to work and stop whining about not being able to concentrate.

Oh, and if you are in High School, suck it up and learn. You may not like it, but you will need those skills to go to college (unless you want to wind up like hfcg).

PS, I hope you don't live anywhere near me, because if you cant sit down and get to work on something that will affect the rest of your life, I don't want you on the road driving anywhere in the vicinity of my family.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I don't know of any software that can do that. You need to force yourself to focus. Give yourself breaks, and rewards. Set a timer if you have to. For every hour that you work without distracting yourself, give yourself a reward of fun distractions. Take breaks in between work "sessions", so it doesn't seem as daunting.

Kat is quite right! In order to get things done, its a matter of focus: I believe that your work area must be as free as possible of distractions, just as it would be if you were working on homework for a school class or project. Get organized, and have everything you need close by, and within easy reach, and make sure that you are ready to work when you sit down. For each hour you work, give yourself a break away from your machine, or you may get tired. Get up and walk around and after a while, go back to your task.

For big tasks, split them up into smaller chunks: When I do websites, for example, I may set up the design layout one day, then actually set up the directories for the site another, then do the pages the third. Write things down, so you don't forget what it is you have to do, and for each goal you reach, check it off your list, and make notes of what you need to do the next day. This helps me with insuring that everything gets done.

When I used to work for the State, I had a supervisor that would remind me to take a break because my job was to do data entry for them. I would get going, and not stop, so the supervisor would make me take a break for the first few days, so that I would get used to doing it every hour. After awhile, it was automatic, and I was "trained" to do this. :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
animosity, you need help focusing on your work ... just do it ... forget about everything else ... forget about needing help to refocus ... just do it! You and only you - not outside help or programs or anything can help you. Only you can help you. Either decide to do it and go ahead or just give it a miss and flunk out.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I must agree with what ScHwErV said even if it sounds hard. I did what you are now doing, and kick myself every day.
If you think that it is hard now, try it when you are older and have to go back to school while working to pay the bills.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I must agree with what ScHwErV said even if it sounds hard.

Tough love is a specialty of mine. Well, not love so much.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I must agree with what ScHwErV said even if it sounds hard.

ScHwErV:

As do I :)

My Personal Trainers have used the "Do, or Do Not, There is no try" approach with me when they ask me to do something.......I am the type of guy who does not give up unless I absolutely have no choice but to do so.... These situautions are rare - I always give 110% because it is the only way to succeed in life.

Sometimes, "tough love" is the only way to go, and if my parents used it, it was to teach me a lesson, which I learned. Sometimes I wished I didn't have to learn some of these things the hard way, but life is a challenge, and I accept it. Master Yoda said "Do, or Do Not, There is no try", and I will always remember it because every time my trainers thought I was "complaining" they would pretend that they were playing the violin :)

It is strange how, as you get older you realize that there were things that you could have done better, or that as I get older I actually agree with my parents on some issues - Go Figure - I guess that comes with experience?

:) :)

Brian

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I'm forced to show my inner Geek here.

"Do or Do not, there is no try" doesn't seem like something Yoda would say.

In the 3rd movie (actually the 6th) where Kenobi fights Anakin he says something like "Only a Sith would work in absolutes".

**Brian**

**Brian**

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I'm forced to show my inner Geek here.

"Do or Do not, there is no try" doesn't seem like something Yoda would say.

In the 3rd movie (actually the 6th) where Kenobi fights Anakin he says something like "Only a Sith would work in absolutes".

I could have sworn that he said that - I will have to rewatch them to see :)

Aaaaah......I guess I will have to get those 3 movies: I had them all on DVD at one point, and may have lost them when I moved. I have the Trilogy of IV V and VI and was given I and II but something may have happened when I packed up last March and moved back home to Washington Apartments, which is where I lived for all of the last 12 years. (I spent 8 months away during reconstruction)

Having a disability, I have a keen understanding of how hard you have to work to get to a goal. I have overcome many challenges, and I am proud to say that I do not let my disability get in the way. (as much as I can control it). Sometimes howevever, my body may not let me do something, but my trainers do not give up, and figure out other ways to exercise muscle groups in a safe way so I don't hurt myself :)

Brian

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

:) Definitely agreed, and awesomely worded! :)

But back to the topic. If you feel you need to focus on something, I find (as a high school freshman) that it helps to go on the computer in plain view of someone else (e.g. a parent). This keeps me from going off-task and playing that game of NetHack that I'll probably never finish.

You could try web restriction software, but I doubt it would help much. Last year, when I had gaming issues, I found out how to use a proxy as well as tor after blocking myself from several game sites from my router and changing its password to a bunch of random gibberish.

But whatever works for you, do it. The most important thing is not to give in :

Good luck :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Some great advice here. I particularly support ScHwErV's advice. It might be "drill sergeant" style, but it is the truth.

If you can admit that your mentally weak and that you lack discipline, then you're heading in the right direction.

Some operant conditioning might do you good. Like it has been suggested above, set goals, achieve them, and give yourself a pat on the back while your setting your next goal a little higher. Don't spoil yourself and don't use the internet as your reward.

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline!!

Any software or net restriction tool use is not discipline at all.

If you want to get into a philosophical discussion, I could elaborate on "desire" and try to explain how desire is controlling you. You need to learn to recognize it and learn to control it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
[quote name='http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/']Revealing himself to be Yoda, the Jedi Master began Luke's training in earnest. Telekinetic challenges, challenges of the will and body, more challenges than Luke had ever faced before helped mold the reckless youth into a Jedi. Still, Luke failed to "unlearn" his preconceptions. When asked to raise his sunken starfighter from the Dagobah swamps with the power of his mind alone, he responded he would try. "No," scolded Yoda. "Do, or do not. There is no try." Luke did not believe the Force could lift such a massive object. He was proven wrong when Yoda telekinetically lifted the X-wing fighter and placed it on dry land. Again, Luke was incredulous -- he did not believe; that is why he failed.[/quote]