Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help focusing on work.

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Give yourself breaks, and rewards.

What Kat said here is very important, I myself have many distractions. I rather think about the next upgrade for my computer and plan it out step by step then write an essay or study for an exam. Simply put, we need to put our distractions and hobbies aside. I have gone to study sessions to help myself and if you follow the advice below you should find it easier to accomplish your tasks.
1. Never try to work tired, it just doesn't work.
2. Don't work stressed out, again you just don't feel like getting anything done.
3. For every 45 minutes to one hour, give yourself a 10-15 minute break. Look at is as a reward for you hard work.
4. Don't eat or answer the phone.
5. When you use your "reward" time (10-15 minute intervals), don't start doing something you know will take longer then 10-15 minutes, because it likely will.

Sometimes I myself find that days will pass by and nothing will have been done. I'm personally bad for doing a little bit of everything but not a lot of anything, meaning I get projects started but never quite finished. In these instances I find it best to accomplish something and reward myself with the night off or time with friends. I find that if I stick around at home, I will be much less efficient at accomplishing work as I work best under stress (which is why I work 20+ hours a week). To be honest, getting a job was one of the best things for me, by having a job I need to set goals and I seem to do so in a much more timely and efficient manner because of limited time.
What helps one may not help another, so you need to find something that will motivate you and you alone to accomplish your goals. Without motivation, you will become distracted and feel as if you have not gotten anything done.
James

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Any software or net restriction tool use is not discipline at all.

Exactly. You'll only spend more time trying to figure out ways around your restrictions. It would be a challenge for you that you wouldn't be able to resist... thus eating up even MORE of your time.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is really a matter of you making a decision.
You can be lazy and drop out because "it is too hard", or you can deal with it and have a better quality of life for the next 45-50 years.
I chose to drop out during my first year of collage.
Now you choose.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
hcfg makes a very strong point.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Not the web restriction software's.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
animosity: Good for you for recognizing a shortcoming and realizing it is something you need to correct. Realizing is the first step; asking for help is the second, so you're on your way. I realize there are some people who lack compassion for others, or have never had someone in their life that has a legitimate psychosomatic problem that they have had to deal with. Aside from A.D.D. and other mental disorders that affect a percentage of the population, many college students away from home for their first time find themselves in loud, disruptive environments in which it is difficult to focus, concentrate and study. But other posters have covered that quite well for you. A proven technique that thousands have had success with is based on (please excuse the Caps) 'BE HERE NOW'. Google for yourself and see. -- When you catch yourself drifting from what you are reading you must tell yourself in your mind, loudly, BE HERE NOW! and point at the spot on the screen where you are suppose to be reading, or the place on the page in a book where you are supposed to be reading. Continue reading. When you realize something has pulled your attention away -BE HERE NOW- you say to yourself again, and take up reading where and what you are supposed to be reading. animosity, this takes work and commitment. But it works! It does not work right away. You may have to tell yourself BE HERE NOW two hundred times the first day. So what. Do it. Over and over and over again. Your concentration and focus will improve over the course of two weeks, quite nicely in fact. Use BE HERE NOW as long as you have to until you have mastered focusing and concentrating. As the days go by you will have to remind yourself to BE HERE NOW less and less. I promise. And if you feel your problem is greater than that which you can overcome by yourself, don't be afraid to reach out and get some help. You know your mind better than anyone else. Please don't be offended, but just on the off-chance, if feel you have to use substances and/or alcohol in order to get by, cope, or to get sleep, please please please get professional help. Don't let your life pass you by while you waste your health. All those Doctors went to college for a reason. Meanwhile: BE HERE NOW! You can do it! Bless you, and best of luck.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Just wanted to throw in my opinion here.

I also have this same problem. Focusing in on 1 issue has always been a problem with me because my mind constantly seems to race from 1 thing to another. I don't take any type of medication or see any type of therapist for this and I've been able to somewhat control this annoyance. You have to be able to keep your objective in mind, and when you see yourself starting to wonder away from your original goal, be able to immidiately stop what your doing and find some way to refocus (Get up and away from your computer for a few minutes, put a post-it stating your goal on your computer screen so you can keep reminding yourself, etc.) Unless you've been diagnosed with some type of disorder, I think there is a simple solution here that can be self-attained.

Putting something up for ScHwErV... unless you've been stricken with this, you really cannot say one way or another whether ADD is a valid disease. You honestly have no idea what people go through. Yes, some use this as an excuse, but just imagine not being able to control your thought process. Imagine trying to focus on something and your mind races thoughts through your head, seemingly random thoughts that have nothing to do with the task at hand and have no ability to stop it. I dont blame this on anyone and like I said, I've managed control it to a liveable level. But people who say things like "it's just an excuse and dosnt really exist", have not dealt with it. I wish they could honestly see what it's like to actually have it happen. When I was younger I use to think about committing suicide almost every day it would got so bad.

I know people have skepticism about it because [bleep], how could anyone ever understand or feel or even know what is going on inside someone elses head. Just show a little compassion and understanding, he may actually have an real issue (or just could be a lazy slacker too :) ).

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Putting something up for ScHwErV... unless you've been stricken with this, you really cannot say one way or another whether ADD is a valid disease. You honestly have no idea what people go through. Yes, some use this as an excuse, but just imagine not being able to control your thought process. Imagine trying to focus on something and your mind races thoughts through your head, seemingly random thoughts that have nothing to do with the task at hand and have no ability to stop it. I dont blame this on anyone and like I said, I've managed control it to a liveable level. But people who say things like "it's just an excuse and dosnt really exist", have not dealt with it. I wish they could honestly see what it's like to actually have it happen. When I was younger I use to think about committing suicide almost every day it would got so bad.

I know people have skepticism about it because [bleep], how could anyone ever understand or feel or even know what is going on inside someone elses head. Just show a little compassion and understanding, he may actually have an real issue (or just could be a lazy slacker too :) ).

Unless you know me or my situation you cannot speak as to what I can/can not know. You assume that because I do not believe it is a "disease" that I have no knowledge on the subject. You sir are woefully incorrect on so many levels.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean that we are ill informed or uninformed.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

imagine not being able to control your thought process. Imagine trying to focus on something and your mind races thoughts through your head, seemingly random thoughts that have nothing to do with the task at hand and have no ability to stop it.

Try reading when you see sotp for the word stop, or nhotnig for the word nothing.
I see words in this way and still have learned to function in the world.
The secret is to stop whining and dwelling in self pity and work a little bit harder than the next guy.
If some one has a problem and does not know it there is a justifyable excuse, but if you know about the problem than you just have to get hard on yourself.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Well said, hfcg.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

imagine not being able to control your thought process. Imagine trying to focus on something and your mind races thoughts through your head, seemingly random thoughts that have nothing to do with the task at hand and have no ability to stop it.

Try reading when you see sotp for the word stop, or nhotnig for the word nothing.
I see words in this way and still have learned to function in the world.
The secret is to stop whining and dwelling in self pity and work a little bit harder than the next guy.
If some one has a problem and does not know it there is a justifyable excuse, but if you know about the problem than you just have to get hard on yourself.

imagine combining BOTH your described problem..and HFCG's problem....now try to function in an IT environment where you're the only administrator for your company and are expected to handle everything from security attacks to printer jams....merry Christmas...you're now in my world..

i've got ADHD (pretty severe actually) and dyslexia (milder than the ADHD)....i was able to push through this stuff and graduate as the valedictorian of my class in college...get a great job where i am now...and function quite well on a daily basis...all because i know what i've got to work with and i know i've got to work a little harder to maintain concentration and stay effective

Advertisements

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
The hand that will lead you to your goals is usually connected to your own wrist.

You will earn the wage and job you are worth. If you need software to help you focus repeat the phrase "do you want fries with that" over and over until you get the idea.
normonster

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

The hand that will lead you to your goals is usually connected to your own wrist.

You will earn the wage and job you are worth. If you need software to help you focus repeat the phrase "do you want fries with that" over and over until you get the idea.
normonster

I like him. He can stay.

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, ScHwErV-

I don't normally do this but it might fit the occasion. I write a blog...(I know...me and fifty jillion other idiots) but I think from the comments here that most would appreciate a small essay I wrote on ADD. There's lots more where this came from so I did a blatantly commerical thing and included my URL at the bottom. If it isn't proper for me to do this please remove and I apologize for not knowing protocol.
normonster.

Warning-obnoxious non-PC senile rant follows.

We have anywhere from four to seven grandchildren. The number varies with the status of the youngest daughter. She fosters children in her home and the state isn’t exactly consistent. Whatever the count, they are ours while they are in her home and we take advantage of it. There have been a few real heartbreaking episodes, especially little Hailie who was removed very suddenly after two years when adoption papers were filed and an obscure family member stopped the mess due to her partial Indian heritage. I will never forget the pain of having to say goodbye forever to a three year old doll who took half my heart with her. I still cringe when I think about her crawling on my lap as a tearful daughter whispered in my ear that I had to say goodbye-forever and I had ten minutes.

Anyways…on to my incessant rambling. One of the boys has been diagnosed with ADD. He is fifteen and they (school and doctor) claim he has had severe problems with the ability to concentrate for his entire life but they just now discovered it. His schoolwork was well below the level required for advancement but they did it anyway. They don’t want to traumatize him by separating him from his peers. [bleep]!

I don’t fault the teacher. Heaven knows they have their hands full and get paid a mere pittance of their worth, but have they really evaluated this or is it a way of pushing the problem off on someone else?

Sure, he has trouble with schoolwork but I assure you he has no trouble at all with concentration. This child can maneuver his way through the maze of the huge bookcase of video games in his room and remember every nook and cranny, every ghost or goblin, every gun toting [bleep], the location of every hidden missile or key, the status of every characters “power points” and the requirements to get to every level. This child has buffaloed these folks to no end and they will allow him to pass through their game without picking up any power points or extra life.

He counts on his fingers, has never read a book, does not know how to move decimal points around and couldn’t tell you where Philadelphia is located on a map with the names printed on it in huge letters. But he knows the words to every rap song recorded, including the four letter words and almost every line in every stupid [bleep] action movie released since Indy Jones stomped out of the jungle.

Our daughter says we don’t “understand” kids and what they have to put up with today. I might agree if they lived in a big city but Doofus, Oregon? (Fictional name) Give me a break. It is on the edge of the wilderness. Crime there is basically limited to Friday night cow-tipping sessions. But, she says, over half the students have ADD.

I’m probably going to get into serious trouble here but this “time-out” crap isn’t working. Parents “negotiate” punishment with their children, not apply it. I’m certainly not into beating children but I think a good swat on the [bleep] can work wonders for children. If I didn’t pay attention in school I knew I was gonna get my [bleep] kicked, not taken to a shrink to find out why I’m letting peer pressure ruin my self-esteem.

If I had my way, television, video games and all that crap would be a very minimal part of a child’s life. Families would NOT sit in front of the tube and eat at TV trays. They’d communicate while eating. But no; if a parent takes away the video games or the TV the feds will show up and send them off to Guano Bay for “cruelty beyond belief”.

I know, I’m just “old and in the way”. Take me now. I’m ready.
norm

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Simple text links to personal websites are ok so long as they conform to our family friendly standards. Since your blog is not about to compete with our forum, I don't think it will be a problem. If it is, Ill let ya know.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Because I know that I can skip letters in a word, or words in a sentence, and still get the idea behind the words I some times get LAZY and do just that.
If I want to read or write properly I must break every word down to each letter, takes more work.
The only difference is that I do not always get the correct idea of the words, or even the correct word!
So I have to go back and redo what I did.
Being lazy makes me have to do more work.
Even if it takes you longer to reach a goal, you still can reach it.
There is never enough time to do something right, but there is always time to do it over. (do not know who said this.)