Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage always 100%

• Please log in to reply

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,
My computer; Windows XP is always 100% CPU usage, even if i just turned on my computer. When i close all the programs, its still 100% usage...is there an unknown program thats taking my usage? Its been happening for quite some time now.
And im not sure if this is related, but when starting my computer, it sometimes take a while for the windows thing to load.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A couple of things you can try:

Use the rootkit analyzer to see if you may have something sending out information to a server somewhere. Another method is to disconnect from the internet and then watch your CPU usage in Task manager( Ctrl-Alt-Delete in XP) to see where its at. Also, if you start the run box and type in msconfig you may find some other programs running in the background that may be using the CPU. My thoughts here are because when i am connected to PhotoBucket my CPU usage goes to 100%.

SRX660

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
if i did the run box, how will i know which programs are using the most CPU?
hmm...i dont regularly go on photobucket...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can't find that out in msconfig. What you are looking for there is all the programs that are running. Look them up on google and find out what they do. If they seem unessential, you can try disabling them in msconfig and see if the computer improves the cpu usage. The same thing goes when using the services window. You need to look the programs up on the net and see what they do and if they are essential.

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

The above is a good website for looking up services.

A good msconfig website is here.

http://www.netsquirr...sconfig_xp.html

SRX660

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
but i think the problem is the computer system itself. because, when my computer loads to the desktop part, it freezes for a bit, and it takes like 5-10 minutes until it unfreezes and it works fine again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You have to start somewhere to diagnose this problem. SRX660's directions are a good starting point. Give it a try and see what you discover.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ive disabled some services using the msconfig. rebooted. the computer loaded much faster and i didnt have to wait for 5-10 minutes for it to unfreeze.
my CPU usage is no longer 100% but it seems to go low, then high...low and high...thats normal right?
it should be fixed by now...well i hope so...
thanks alot for ur help! and sorry for the delay! thanks again!!!

Shyla

Shyla

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I use this: http://www.whatsrunn...nning/main.aspx

It is a small program that tells you every single thing running on your computer, tells you what it is, shows you all IP's connected to your computer, shows how much CPU usage each is using..... pretty much anything at all you would want to know - and its free. I've used it for a couple of years to find things that seemed to be sucking CPU usage and to turn it off.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another way to see whats using all the resources is press ctrl+alt+del...click on the process's tab
then put the cursor on the cpu and left click until the process using the most is at the top of the list..
you can select the offending program and click on end process AFTER doing a search on google to EXACTLY what it is..just so you don't kill off a necessary windows process...

Edited by happyrck, 15 February 2008 - 10:33 AM.

sweetmango1

sweetmango1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Shyla: hmm thanks i will try that!

happyrck : i usually do that but it still doesnt decrease the CPU usage i have

its 100% CPU usage again...and it took 5-10 minutes for the computer to unfreeze again...it worked fine yesterday. i went on msconfig from the run box and the services i disabled are unticked...i dont know why...hmmm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
link to troubleshoot high cpu usage is here...

If the Knowledgebase Articles don't help you resolve your high CPU usage issue, bear in mind that corrupt system files and drivers, older drivers, corrupt applications, viruses, trojans, worms and insufficient RAM can all cause CPU usage to go high... Use the resources that appear after the Knowledgebase Articles for further help in locating the source of the problem...go here..

Edited by happyrck, 17 February 2008 - 07:04 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could very well be a malware problem. Use the link in my signature to the malware forum. Run all the preliminary steps and see if there is any improvement. If not, post there a high-jack-this log as per instructions.