Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help : Computer keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

My Desktop computer keeps crashing few times a day for last couple of days. It started out slow once a day last week when I got Broadband thru my telephone company. They have provided me with a WI-FI modem although I don’t have a WI-FI capability in my desktop. It is therefore connected using a cable to my LAN card.
Previously I had cable internet but no such problems.

This is the only Hardware change made in last one week and I am using Internet Download Manager ( Latest Version ) which I was using before too.

My system Specs are :

Win XP PRO SP2
P4 Dual Processor 3.00 GHz
2.0 GB RAM
NOD32 Antivirus
Zone Alarm PRO Firewall
Trojan Hunter software

The error I am getting is :

A problem has been detected & window has been shut down.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Technical Info :

***STDP : 0X00000002

STOP : X00000002 ( 0X00000007, 00000CD4, 0X021300000, 0X88910528 )
Etc.

Can a Modem be Causing this problem OR there is something else ?

I have been using this computer for last two years with no such problem.

Please HELP.

Thank You

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like your computer is still looking for the cable connection and cant find it. The below also applys to XP systems. Did the telephone company have you download any software for the modem? I would be calling the phone company for any help i could get.

STOP: 0x00000002 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) DEVICE_QUEUE_NOT_BUSY
Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates that a device queue was expected to be busy, but was not.
User Action:

If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk.

SRX660

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

It sounds like your computer is still looking for the cable connection and cant find it. The below also applys to XP systems. Did the telephone company have you download any software for the modem? I would be calling the phone company for any help i could get.

STOP: 0x00000002 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) DEVICE_QUEUE_NOT_BUSY
Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates that a device queue was expected to be busy, but was not.
User Action:

If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk.

SRX660

Hi,

I have Windows XP SP2 & not Win 2000.

Also the error is :

A problem has been detected & window has been shut down.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Technical Info :

***STDP : 0X00000002

STOP : X00000002 ( 0X00000007, 00000CD4, 0X021300000, 0X88910528 )
Etc.

So canyou please explain what is the problem ?

Phone co guy installed the Wi Fi modem although I don't have Wi Fi Capability in my desktop.

Should I switch to regular modem ?

Thanks

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

It does connect with new broadband Wi Fi modem but it usually crashes when I am downloading large files usually from Rapidshare.

For usual intenet use during the day it works fine.

Also the error is : BAD_POOL_CALLER all the time & Windows Crashes completely.

Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Win XP has the same errors ( for the most part) as Win 2000. ON this error it would be the same. It is obvious that the Wi-Fi seems to be causing the problem if that is the only change you have made. I would insist that a tech man come out to find the problem. Scream and yel if needed. They have setup the system wrong so they should fix it. I am running Wi-Fi setup from my local cable company flawlessly. I can connect any computer i have to the system, no matter if it is wired or wireless.

http://msdn2.microso...y/ms818752.aspx

http://msdn2.microso...y/ms796120.aspx

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

This is from another forum that someone had to try to fix the problem.

Try a Repair Install with your WinXP Bootable CD.

If Repair option fails you will have to do a Clean Reinstall of WinXP as a last resort.
Some details:
1. Boot with your WinXP CD
2.At the "Welcome To Setup" screen, Choose the option:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

DO NOT choose !!!!

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

IGNORE
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3
3. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

4.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

If Repair is not one of the options, under the Circumstances you are in the next option will be Clean install

If you need to do the above make sure you have a good XP CD and not a recovery CD.

SRX660