Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknowns on network

• Please log in to reply

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi! I don't know if I have a problem or not. I just bought a new computer and it is running Vista, which feels completely different that 2000xp. I have already had several issues. Last night, while my son was playing a game, he said he lost the internet connection and network 2 user came up. I am not sharing with anyone. This is a personal use computer only. I checked my network and it shows three other computers besides mine. I clicked on each and it did not let me look at who it was. My settings are for sharing files and several others, that I couldn't change. Am I in danger? How did other computers get linked with mine? This has me very worried since, I pay bills and bank on-line. I am not very computer savvy, except for basics. Any calming of my mind would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello sugarpoppy,

Are you using a wireless internet connection? The following might help give a better understanding if that is the case:
O'Reilly - Wired and Wireless Connections, Management, and Configuration

Regards,

Ax

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for such a quick responce. I am on wireless internet. It is all that is offered in my rural area. I read the info you sent me. I must admit that I didn't really understand it, but I am assuming that 3 others networking on my computer is acceptable, as it is probably with the wireless company. If this is right than I appreciate you calming me down.
Thank you so much!

Deb

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey Deb,

Well three others on your network would mean that someone else is using your internet connection, which means that your internet connection is not secured. If you just see the three other wireless networks in the list of available wireless networks, you have nothing to worry about.

Ax

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How do I secure my internet connection? It is not 3 wireless connections, it is only one. It show that there is two other people on my network. It was 3 others, now only 2. It says Chadjones-pc and DIANA-pc. It lists as workgroup. I checked my network and sharing center abd it says:
Network(Private Network)
Sharing and Discovery
Net dicovery- on
file sharing-off
public folder sharing-off
printer sharing - off
Password protected sharing-on
Media sharing - off

I clicked on shared folders on the computer and it showed a printer.
I don't know where to go from here. I just know that one of the people that was on earlier is gone now. I don't know who these people are. I sure don't want other people on here.
Thank you so much for your help.

Deb

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi Deb,

Sounds to me like your wireless connection is not secured. You can use the following guide to help increase the security of your wireless connection:
Windows XP: Set up a wireless network

Regards,

Ax

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey,
Thanks for being so quick. Is that link good for vista home premium? That is what I have now. I updated my info earlier for new computer. Thanks!

Deb

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry, one quick thing. I am running off of a wireless internet connection coming from an antenna on a water tower to an antenna in front of my house. A cable runs from the antenna into my home and to my computer. It also connect to plugs into an electical outlet. I am not wireless inside of the home. My internet says :
Local
Area Connect
Network
NVIDIA nForce Network.

Don't know if this helps.

Deb

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, well then that's a bit different. This may be something you have to take to your ISP, if you haven't already. They may be sharing the same wireless signal that is being fed from the tower.

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will call them. Thanks so much for all your help. You did good.

Deb

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Glad I could help. If anything is still awry after you contact them, let us know.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One suggestion. Since you only have one computer, disable file sharing so no one can get to anything on your computer.

See here: http://www.wellesley.../winxphome.html

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Good advice Ztruker,

Would this be different than the settings that Deb has listed?

Sharing and Discovery
Net dicovery- on
file sharing-off
public folder sharing-off
printer sharing - off
Password protected sharing-on
Media sharing - off

Ax

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Probably not :) but what is "network and sharing center" where the posted info came from?

sugarpoppy

sugarpoppy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi!
I called my wireless internet company. The guy said this was odd. After he messed around a bit, he told me nobody is looking at your stuff and it is probably just traffic on the wireless connection.
I still don't feel comfortable with that. Twice now I have checked my windows firewall and it is turned off. I turn it back on and on my 2000 xp, it always warned me that it was off. On Vista Home Premium, it is not warning me at all. I don't know how it is getting turned off.
Sharing and dicovery is in networking in Vista. This morning it showed that file sharing was on. The last time I talked to you it was not. I am still very worried regardless of what the internet company says. I am still learning vista and walking my way around it. It is very different to me than XP.
I still very much appreciate your input. I went to firewall and turned off file sharing. Let's see if it comes back later.
Thanks so much!
Deb