Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Content Managements System?

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Alright well I have a website...

http://omglole.com

I host videos and pictures of friends and anything else I can find.

I am horribly annoyed with running this site on HTML and a little PHP alone. Every time I feel like changing something about the theme or the font, I end up having to change EVERY SINGLE PAGE that uses that template or that image. It is eating up my time and I am sick of it.

Is there any way to make it so when I edit one page that uses a template, all the templates on all the other pages will change? Because that would be nice.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yep. Using an external CSS style sheet is the way to control the styling of all your changes. Allow making changes to it which affects all pages.

Another good set up would be to use Server Side Includes (SSI). With SSI you can add/delete major section which will transfer across all your pages where the include is used.

Any way I can talk you out of using tables for your page layouts? That is so outdated and no longer meets web standards. Your page I looked at also doesn't have a doc type and it is throwing every browser into Quirks Mode. It has two opening body tags. You have your favicon link in the wrong place.

You have 18 HTML coding errors and 1 CSS error.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 09 February 2008 - 03:10 PM.

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Alright but instead of tables, what should I use?

Because I know that the website is so cluttered up with crap and errors and left over codes that I just want to to throw it all out and start again...but I am just too lazy. I think I might actually try if you guys can give me some suggestions.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm full of suggestions...and other things according to some people. :)

I would go with CSS and use div tags to replace a lot of the table tags. Just don't catch "div-itis"! A few well styled div tags will work wonders.

How well do you know CSS and HTML? Plus, does your hosting service allow SSI use?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 09 February 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Alright so i went looking for some examples online...and I think that I get how the CSS Stylesheets to work.

I know HTML and CSS fairly well.

Yes. It does provide SSI support.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Good news on the SSI then.

For the code that is on every page which possibly be changed from time to time, SSI really helps. For example, the nav menu may have links added or deleted and, of course, the nav menu is on every page. Using SSI, you can just modify the include file and changes will appear on all pages.

I use includes for all nav, common head tag info, headers, footers and what ever I may add/delete items on. Just doing one include file saves a lot of time. Very easy to set up.

Your page already has some div tags so just need to work on the code errors and removing the table tags.

Ron

e.suresh

e.suresh

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I host videos and pictures of friends and anything else I can find.

if you use this two things only then i think their is some content management systems and you should use it and those will make easily to upload or add or import videos images etc

did you tried joomla ?

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I might also suggest you fix this error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: displayusers() in /home/content/m/r/j/mrjack8745/html/members.php on line 10