Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Blue Screen Error 0x0000008E

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....let's run a repair install.

As the operating system appears to be getting more and more unstable, I think it's time we got rid of some updates and replace the system files. This will leave your data intact and will use the drivers currently installed for your hardware. If this is a hardware issue, it's deeper than the video card.

Boot to your Dell XP installation cd. At the Welcome to Setup Screen, press Enter.

Press F8 to accept the License Agreement.

Press R to repair the currently installed operating system.

If you are asked for your product key during this procedure, you should find it on a sticker on the left side panel (desktop) or bottom (laptop) of your machine.

Advertisements

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Rebooted to the CD, got this message on a black screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I'm on my husband's laptop now, just left that message on the desktop. Should I attempt reboot again?

And lol, I was proofing this post and noticed that I typed screem instead of screen. That's a freudian slip if I ever saw one! :)

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What cd did you boot to? That doesn't sound like the Dell operating system disk...

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
It says:

Dell
Operating System
Already Installed on Your Computer
Reinstallation DVD
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should be the one. Try booting to it again. it should take you to a series of screens like those in this guide.

What kind of machine does your husband have? Does he have a disk for it?

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Put the CD in, rebooted, got the Dell logo screen, can go to F2 or F12 from there, or F8 for safe mode. Both in safe mode and not, all I get is that same message about the missing or corrupt file.

*can I panic now?

My husbands laptop is a Toshiba with Vista.

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

When you have the disk ready, let me know and we'll use Recovery console to get back the registry hive you've lost.

I'm really starting to believe we're looking at a failing hard drive.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Fortunately, my husband was just getting home. I said, hey, we need to burn this cd on your laptop. He said, can I burn a cd on the laptop? Lol, we've never used it for that.

It does though, ISO Recorder worked fine, I have the cd ready.

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try booting to that cd and see if it will get you to the Welcome to Setup screen.

The instructions I'll be giving you will look quite complicated, but when taken a step at a time, they're really not too bad to accomplish. This procedure will replace the registry's system hive. Your current one is apparently corrupt.

Let me know if you are able to load to the Welcome to Setup screen and I'll type up some instructions.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Okay, that didn't work either, took me to the same Windows could not start message.

I remembered seeing something in the bios last night about boot sequence. Is that a factor? Since I can get to bios, mine shows:

1. Onboard or USB Floppy drive
2. Onboard SATA Hard drive
3. Onboard IDE Hard drive (not present)
4. Onboard or US CD-Rom drive

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll need to change the boot order so that the onboard cd-rom is first and the sata hard drive is second.

Then boot to your Dell cd and follow the guide for the repair install if you can. If you can't, I'll post the instructions I just finished typing up... :)

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Well, first of all, I'm just dang glad I actually remembered something that finally was useful. ;-)

Changed the boot order, put the dell cd in. Restart brought me to a black screen with a flashing cursor. After 30 seconds or so, I got the same error message Windows could not start etc.

Tried the new RC.ISO cd and it did work. Presto! But after a few seconds, said it was loading files I think during that time, I got a blue screen. This one has all the usual at the top and data I've never seen before at the bottom.

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF786B0BF, 0xF7CB7208, 0xF7CB6F08)

pci.sys - Address F786B0BF base at F7864000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

How many pages did you say it took to fix that other stubborn computer. :)

Thank you, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'd have a ways to go yet to match wunderbox...as it came to be known.

We need to get all the way to the repair if we can...it appears to be a system file issue, at least at this point.

Try one more time to get to the Welcome to Setup screen...we have to get at least that far to do anything.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Tried this more than once. The Dell cd never would work. Used the rc.iso cd and again was able to go to the start page. Said to press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers, which I ignored per the instructions. It then said loading files and went through what looked like an extraction. As soon as that completed it said loading windows, and then the bsod pops up. Same details each time.

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF786B0BF, 0xF7CB7208, 0xF7CB6F08)

pci.sys - Address F786B0BF base at F7864000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

Sigh. Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this......go back into the BIOS setup and change the video from PCI to the old setting and try to boot to the Dell CD again. We may need to make a new disk with SP2 on it in order to get PCIe support outside of Windows. I can do that if I can locate a Media Center disk to work with.