Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Blue Screen Error 0x0000008E

• Please log in to reply

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Lol, I now have McAfee Security Center I think it's called, just bought in December and paid through next year sometime.

The old Mcafee doesn't want to let me remove the program, it says an instance of virus scan is running.

Also, add/remove programs shows Nvidia drivers, which would be there since the machine came with a geforce 6 series. Remove those also correct.

Windows firewall is up, is that okay while we are doing these other things?

I have the SP2 cd ready to install, but wanted to clear up these other loose ends first.

Thank you!!!! Kristi

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have the Windows Firewall, then you already have SP2 installed. The firewall comes with SP2.

Uninstall the Nvidia drivers...for sure.

You should be able to stop the virus scan through Task Manager...look under the "Processes" tab if it isn't listed under the "Applications" tab.

If you've paid for the McAfee, then you sure can use it, but it's really bad with using system resources and isn't that great when it comes to protecting your system. There are free programs that are actually better than either McAfee or Norton. If you want the best protection, look into NOD32.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Had SP2 all along? That's almost, not quite, funny. Guess I don't need to use that cd we burned?

Finally got all McAfee removed, nvidia also. System says it needs to restart.

Restart, then install video card disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes.

Then let it run for a bit before installing the Anti Virus...just to make sure the machine is stable with the new video card.

Then install the A/V and hit the net for a bit of surfing.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
K, that went well. Was the longest install in history I think. :) Had to restart to complete the installation and that was fine also.

When Dell and I did the system restore, they had me go ahead immediately and install the cd for the nvidia card drivers. During that installation I got a blue screen. That could be because we did not remove the drivers for the original card. Also, they had me click yes on the auto updates, so microsoft was loading updates right and left at the same time. I turned that off this time.

Looking good so far this time. Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll turn on the updates after we know the system is stable. If you leave the machine running at night, that's a good time for updates to download as it will only download small groups of related updates...that is, after an initial whopper of about 80 or so which are primarily security patches for SP2. Then they should just trickle a few at a time.

Install the new A/V program next, though. You've got a nice clean machine...let's keep it that way. :)

I'm sure impressed with how you stuck this one out, Kristi...most people would have thrown in the towel and the computer out the window a long time ago.

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Is that the end?

Your both amazing. :)

Wannabe1 Posted Image

Kristi :)

all the best to you both.........

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thank you, thank you. :)

Will it hurt my cred if I admit I was on the web briefly today at work looking at systems? I was thinking hard about throwing in the towel, lol. (yeah and the computer out the window)

Likewise though, you have my undying gratitude for sticking it out with me. I couldn't have done it without you, and I never would have tried without your encouragement. You are the best! It's so amazing to find helpful, friendly and patient people who are here donating their time to help those of us who are technically-challenged. Thanks will never be enough.

Security Center is installed, no problems with that either, although I'm afraid to say that out loud. I have to be out of town on business tomorrow, unless we get more snow and freezing rain tonight. If I go, I likely won't be back until Thursday evening. So I'll let the 'puter rest and recover while I'm gone, then surf a bit when I get back and let you where things stand.

A thought or two, if you don't mind. This system is used a lot for gaming, about 15 months with Guild Wars, and then World of Warcraft since Christmas. Never had any problems with either. The night before the blue screens started, I installed a WOW expansion pack. With millions of people playing, I trust WOW enough, but wondered if something in the expansion didn't get along with something in the system. I kinda, sorta, maybe think I got a blue screen several weeks ago, just one time. Restarted and never saw it again until last week. If so, it would mean the expansion and wow in general wasn't even installed yet. Do you think there could be a relationship?

I feel very reluctant to install either game again, but that is one of the big reasons we bought it.

Thank you! Kristi :)

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Tallin!

I missed your reply, I guess while I was typing mine! Thank you so much for all your help and for asking wannabe1 to take a look.

Don't know what we would do without wonderful peeps like you!

I HOPE that's the end.........itty bitty baby steps for a few days. When wannabe1 says I can game again, and it works, then the drinks are on me!!

Kristi

p.s. The best part is that I was able to backup all of my pictures before anything nasty happened. I have 2 little kids, and their whole lives are captured and stored, and it'd been too long since I'd done a back up. Looks like I got out with my photos, my system, more memory, and a better video card. No complaining over here! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I just had a look at your system specs again and your machine should be ok for some moderate gaming. I did see some changes that could be made to improve things a little (like a stronger power supply), but you shouldn't have problems with the games you mentioned so long as you're not looking for an extreme gaming experience.

If it were my machine, I would install the games one at a time, setting a system restore point before each install. Play the game for a while to make sure the system remains stable, then install the next game...again, setting a system restore point before the install. Install WOW first, run it, and then install the expansion pack right after that. That way they should integrate a little better. Then install any other games you want to install.

You should have better luck with the ATI card than you did with the Nvida card. I was amazed at all the Dell owners who were experiencing problems related to the Nvidia chipset. I didn't see any with problems related to ATI cards, though...and that's why I suggested switching chipsets.

When you get back from your business trip and have everything installed, you can send me a fresh WinAudit report and I'll look it over to make sure things are playing together as they should. If you run into more problems in the meantime, give us a shout and we'll roll our sleeves back up and try to sort them out.

Take care, Kristi...it has, indeed, been a pleasure to help you. :)

Advertisements

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Happy Valentines Day!

Everything seems to be running well at this point, I've decided we are both awesome! :)

I ran a new winaudit report as you suggested and will email it to you. Thanks for taking a look at it!

I took the Nvidia card with drivers and memory sticks we removed from the system to one of the IT people at my company today. He is going to try them on a couple of the computers up there and see if he has any problems. They are all Dell. Will definitely let you know how that turns out.

Thank you again for being so great! Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Happy (belated) Valentine's Day back atcha! :)

I'm glad things are running better for you.

Everything looks good in the report with the exception of a few errors related to IE6 not starting properly. It also shows that you have updated to IE7, so I would be inclined to believe that the IE6 errors are probably not much to worry about.

How do the games run? Do they seen a little better on the new video card?

I would, indeed, be interested to see if there are any problems with the old hardware when installed in other Dell machines. I found it a bit disconcerting to find so many Dell owners having problems with the Nvidia drivers and no solutions for the problem...either from Dell or from Nvidia.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Happy Saturday!

Things are going really, really well. I finally got Outlook up and running and am receiving emails again. I even managed to get online and do some banking and bill pay, thank goodness. After the necessary stuff was done :) I found some time to play wow today and haven't had any problems. And I haven't had any nightmares about blue screens and computer tests since Wed night, so lots of progress!!

I haven't installed anything else yet, and don't intend to for a bit, especially any other games.

My IT co-worker did not have time to test any of the old hardware yet, but I will definitely let you know the outcome.

I have checked the event log several times and the following error shows up at least once a day:

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{35FFF605-3E61-4B87-A64E-54BA4B0A646D}. The backup browser is stopping. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp

That has been logged while I have been using the cp and while I haven't. But I've never noticed it affect anything.

Thanks once again for everything, but I want to add, it's not just the help that's so wonderful. It's the friendly attitudes, the patient responses, the little jokes that make us smile when we are freaking out. This is the second times geekstogo has saved this computer! I had a mean trojan about a year ago and found gtg during an online search. Kenny94 here helped me through that and now he, Tallin and definitely you Wannabe1 are saints in my book!!

Kristi

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Kristi10.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date with your computers very good performance since Wannabi1 saved your machine from a certain death by dieing! :)

We do not want to pat W1 on the back too much as you know men, we get a swelled head for the most simple of reasons.

BUT

I must say he isn't bad is he! :)

Me, I am only a plodder at the moment but do enjoy helping where possible and it was a joy to guide you to him to achieve the final outcome.

As for Kenny94, well I would agree those guys are saints to be sure. :)

Keep on keeping on message to that computer of yours.

best regards, :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thank you for the kind words, Kristi.... :)

Do you have your machine networked with other machines? If not, you can eliminate that error by disabling File and Printer Sharing in Network properties or by stopping the Computer Browser service in msconfig and setting the Startup Type to "Manual".

If you stop the service using msconfig, when you restart you will receive a configuration change dialog window...this is normal, just tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Keep us posted, but it sounds like it's dong just fine... :)