Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please -- Data Execution Prevention

• Please log in to reply

BigBren

BigBren

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello
I have been suffering a continuing problem with my Laptop. When I open My Documents or a Media Player file, I have to close it down as a Data Execution prevention Message box continues to pop up. in addittion to the Dr Watsons debugger message box .
I have been dealing with Rorschach at Malware and he has checked my logs after a DSS and Kapersky scan,and they are clean. He has suggested I try to seek help in this XP forum
Any help will be appreciated

Thanks Brendan

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think you may have a corrupted system file. I suggest you run a disk check to fix any errors that may have occurred.

Go to Start>Run and type in chkdsk /f, it may ask you if you want to schedule a disk check the next time you reboot, type in Y and then press enter. Then reboot your computer and check disk will start automatically.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Ltangelic, 09 February 2008 - 06:54 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also see this MS article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thankyou Ltangelic and Ztruker for your replies. I have run the chkdsk /f function and it checked all files , indexes , security descriptions aand usn journals and appears to be functioning OK ie No report issued. Problem if still persisting , but I will fiddle with the DEP settings to see if we can make a difference. I will report back soon with results. Thankyou for your time and assistance so far in help with this issue

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
On my computers, DEP is set as: Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Ztruker
I changed the DEP settings as you have on your PC,s and now I am getting a Close Internet Explorer box at startup in addition to the other problems. Should I try and reload Windows XP again with the option of retaining my Data, to try and kick this problem
Thanks
Bren

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What was DEP set to before you changed it?

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Ztruker

I think it was set to essental windows services and programs option. I have changed it to the other option and selected Windows Media player and Div X player in the exclusions box , applied , and restarted and still problem persisting. I also changed it back to the essentail option and rebooted etc .

Thanks Bren

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Bren, the only thing I can think off is to turn off DEP. See here: http://www.housing.h...turnoff-dep.htm

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Ztruker

I have sucessfully turned off the DEP, however now I am getting a Windows Explorer must close message box when I open My Computer or My Documents and Media player files. It seems to have taken over from the DEP message box

Thanks Bren

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, try running chkdsk, see if it finds any file system problems:

Open My Computer.
Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is any drive)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the "Automatically fix File System errors" box.

For C: you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Ztruker and hfcg

I selected my Drive C:\ through My computer as you suggested and ran the CHKDSK with fix file system errors checked, and the volume came up clean. Immediately after this I tried to open my documents and the same Windows explorer must close message box came up and have to close My Documents. To hfcg I cant even get to open any Media files to try your solution. I have tried some other fixes suggested to me such as checking the " Do not cache Thumbnails Box". In Internet Options, Advanced I unchecked the "enable third party browser extensions" and In Windows Explorer >Folder Options>View I checked the box beside " launch folder windows in a seperate process", these fixes were suggested to help with the Windows Explorer Must close message box appearing when trying to open My Documents, But none has worked for me. I am close to the stage where I nearly want to wipe the whole thing clean and start again, I appreciate your suggestions and I really would like to nail this soon . Thanks Bren

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you try running regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll as hfcq suggested?

BigBren

BigBren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Ztruker
Tried this and stated that DllUnregisterServer in shmedia.dll suceeded. I will reboot and see what happens Thanks