Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - 19'' LCD dead but not dead pixels

• Please log in to reply

themathminister

themathminister

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, my problem is like i said in the topic title and description.

Whenever i play a video that contains black, the black portions contain red and black pixels (more like blocks because they are much bigger than an individual pixel). They flicker on and off, and are seemingly randomly distributed throughout the black portions. And if i move the screen that contains the video around, the pixels follow. The strangest thing is that when the video is paused, the pixels are still flickering on and off in the black areas. I have checked my computer for dead pixels, and do not have any.

The red/blue pixels always show up in videos, no matter what
-video player (VLC, Windows Media, Real)
-resolution (1440x900, 1280x1024)
-video quality (direct DVD in drive or download)

It's really frustrating, and i suspect it's either a problem with my graphics card or lcd screen. But i'm not that tech savy so hopefully someone can figure it out.

Anyways in case this helps, here on the specs on the comp (i built it):
gateway hd 19'' lcd monitor
amd 3200+ athlon (not overclocked)
1.5gb ddr ram (forgot the speed, 300 something i think?)
radeon 9800pro 256mb (agp 8x) graphics card
mobo -asus, don't remember specific model, but has no pci express slots, and has socket 949 i think

Also, i'm using a dvi connection to my monitor

I've had this problem since i built my comp 3 years ago, and never got around to trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your time,
-Ryan

Advertisements

themathminister

themathminister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually i took a couple crappy quality vids with my cell phone to sort of show what is going on.

http://media.putfile.com/pixels

http://media.putfile.com/pixels-2

these are both taken while a video (The Crying Game in case you wanted to know) was on pause.

so weird.

themathminister

themathminister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump