Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots, no video signal at startup

• Please log in to reply

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok, heres the deal, after mucking about with the RAM (I had to take it out...probably a bad idea...) my computer won't boot properly.

Here is what happens:

1. I press the button :)
2. The CPU fan turns on
3. There is no video signal
4. The computer turns off :)

Right now, I have it at bare bones, with just my SATA HDD plugged in, my 8600 vid card, and a keyboard.

I have tried: a different type keyboard, no HDD, a different vid card, two different monitors (i have found that my LCD is sometimes too slow to turn on), and any combination you can think of between the two sticks of RAM (even no RAM).

My instinct says overheating CPU, but I don't think thats it, as it fails to explain the lack of video signal, and I have the heatsink ziptied to the MB (the little clips broke...zipties work just fine, and have been for months now...)

I'm worried that I may have damaged my MB...

(Also, I thank Nintendo for adding in USB keyboard support for the Wii...I wouldnt want to be typing this letter by letter...)

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I know it's an old post, but I figure I'd give it a shot.

Actually, an improperly seated or damaged CPU could be causing these symptoms. It's especially suspect since you have zip-ties where clips should be :)

Have you tried doing a bench build yet? Sometimes it could be a short on the motherboard due to the case. Kinda rare, but you could give it a shot.

WARNING: Make sure you are grounded before attempting a bench build.

Also, do you hear any beeps when you start it? if so, how many? are they long or short?

Edited by UV_Power, 28 April 2008 - 10:20 PM.