Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Website

• Please log in to reply

fothers

fothers

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi

A friend asked me to help find a website that went missing??
The short story is

The previous owners paid for the website to be written by a company and then hosted it on a server. Both companies have since gone broke. The domain is parked at "Connect West" in Australia but it looks like it inactive as the site can't be reached.
The plan is to set up the website on a new server with a new host (Big one that's less likely to close down).
The question I'm asking is there anyway to piece together some of the information that was on the website. It still shows up with a google search so it may be cached somewhere? but I have no idea if google looks at the whole page or just the first couple of lines. If it was cached somewhere is there anyway to search for it other than with google??.

I know the obvious answer is that its all gone down when the hosting server closed down, however maybe when it went broke it was taken over and it might be still there somewhere?

anyone have any thoughts

thanks
Ian

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
When you say "piece together some of the information" you mean you want to recover all the web site's files. Plus, I take it you can not get in touch with any one who may have a backup copy still archived on their computer or some other medium? There's no contact information you can use via WhoIs?

Maybe you can research through the Internet Archive sites:
WayBack machine

Web Site Archives

Google does cache full pages, but if those pages are not found on the latest crawl of the web, they probably will not show up for you.

Google Archive Search Blog

That's about all the help I can give.

Ron

fothers

fothers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

When you say "piece together some of the information" you mean you want to recover all the web site's files. Plus, I take it you can not get in touch with any one who may have a backup copy still archived on their computer or some other medium? There's no contact information you can use via WhoIs?

Yes because its an association and the committee changed every year and no one had a backup of the website.

Maybe you can research through the Internet Archive sites:
WayBack machine

Web Site Archives

Google does cache full pages, but if those pages are not found on the latest crawl of the web, they probably will not show up for you.

Google Archive Search Blog

That's about all the help I can give.

Ron

Absolutely fantastic, thanks for your help. I was able to find almost all of the website, except the area that had membership details (as it was password protected it didn't show up in any cache's). The new committee used the phone to call everyone they could remember and asked them to call any others (and so on).
So once again thanks for your invaluable help....

Geekstogo rocks
Ian