Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver problem

• Please log in to reply

andrea22

andrea22

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
HI, I downloaded a free screensaver, file size 22mb, and it seems to be totally freezing my system after a while-to the point that I can't click on anything at all and have unplug it from the power and let the battery drain then restart. Might this be because its just too big for my little old laptop? (Which is P3, CPU 933 Mhz)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you probably picked up some malware with the screensaver...look at my screenshot when I do a search for "screensavers"... about half of the results will have some kind of malware attached..(anything in red)..with the screensaver...
uninstall the screensaver now...then
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

andrea22

andrea22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply. I now have two more questions; How can you tell that those sites (or that one site) on your screenshot may carry malware? (Or is it that you are familiar with that site?) And, I already have a trojan (Agent.DCM) in my system, (I had it when I downloaded the screensaver, its in the AVG virus vault, and I've already done the Hijack this log thing, and am still awaiting reply), might this trojan have affected the screensaver or is it more likely a new one?