Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Networks, but no Internet

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
We have three computers and a printer (sometimes a fourth is added via wireless) directly connected to our router. (DLink AirPlus Xtreme G)

One day a computer could no longer connect through the Router, so I assigned an ip 192.168.0.108 (the router is set to start assigning at 192.168.0.90 through .199).

A short time later a second computer had limited or no connectivity... click repair did not help, and ipconfig /release(renew) did not work either. I assigned an ip to this computer as well (192.168.0.103).

I tried to configure the router but the computer does not show up on the DHCP page...

When I look at the log (of the DLink) it shows spoof ip 0.0.0.0 over and over from (most likely) this computer. We are in a remote area, so no one has access to our wireless network.

The computer has access to the network, but does not show up on the router (expect on the status log) and does not connect to the network.

Is there something I can try to get things back to normal?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power-cycle the router.
That is, pull the plug out, leave it for 30 seconds and plug it in again.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try to do system restore first.
click START>ALL PROGRAMS >ACESSORIES >SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE
RESTORE MY COMPTUER TO AN EARLIER TIME > and select a date prior to the date when the problem started happening.

What happened here is that:
The computer's TCP/IP might be corrupted and might need to be reinstalled.

TRY uinstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your wireless card because this will reinstall the protocol as well.

Edited by wytboy55, 11 February 2008 - 05:08 PM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I just read my post and will clarify... the first computer I assigned an ip to (108) has access to the network and internet.

The second computer that I assigned an ip to does NOT show up on the router, yet it HAS networking (accesses, and is accessible to other, computers) and yet does NOT have internet. (Caps lock help me see that I typed it right this time :)

**** now that I've corrected my typing errors from my first post *****

System restore did NOT work.

I rolled back the driver with no results and uninstalled (rebooted) reinstalled the driver with no change.

I still have to have an ip assigned to access the network, I cannot access the router (192.168.0.1), and I cannot access the internet... (never dial is selected).

*note* this is not a wireless connection, and the first computer that I had to assign an ip to has full access again.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
go to START>RUN> type CMD (to access command prompt)
in the command prompt window
TYPE ping www.yahoo.com
you should 4 replies, and then packets sent=4;received=4;loss=0;
if you received other replies other than this one, that means there is an application problem on your computer. Meaning it could be the browser that has the problem or a security is blocking your internet connectivity. If you receive four replies that menas you are connected to the internet but you cannot see the website in the browser.

Also try not to assign a PERMANENT or STATIC IP to see if the ROUTER is able to give an IP address on the computer. Try to set the computer to OBTAIN and IP ADDRESS automatically to check if it will sove the problem

Edited by wytboy55, 13 February 2008 - 06:00 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
After you power cycle the router please,
  • Click on the start button.
  • Select Run.
  • Type CMD.
  • In the command prompt window, type ping 127.0.0.1.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I power cycled the router.

I assigned static ips to all my computers on the router... everything works except computer in question (it cannot renew.)

from cmd - (the order does not change results)
ping www.yahoo.com - failure
ping router (192.168.0.1) - failure
ping 127.0.0.1 - SUCCESS

This scenario (ping from cmd) plays out the same regardless of settings (ie... obtain automatically vs specify & static vs normal).

Note * the computer is still under warranty so I cannot open the box (the network card is onboard anyway) so I if there is nothing else I can try, then I will have to continue like this until I can afford to part with the computer for a month or so.

Any other advice? Pinging 127... success... does that mean anything? :)

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
go to command prompt window
checked the ip address, type IPCONFIG /ALL on the command.
post here the ipaddress, subnet mask, default gateway and dns server here.

Edited by wytboy55, 18 February 2008 - 03:55 PM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
IPConfig displays

IPAddress - 192.168.0.109
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
DNS Server - 192.168.0.1

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
if you are not able to ping the 192.168.0.1 that means you cannot communicate to the router properly. This is something to do with a software or application problem. pinging 127.0.0.1 lets you know if the card is working fine. What software do you use for your internet security? try disabling them, also go to device manager. Go to network adapters, look for your wireless network adapter, right click it > click advanced tab > at the left side click to highlight speed and duplex > and select 10mb half duplex in the right side (in the drop down menu) instead of auto. Reboot the computer. Also Try uninstalling the internet security if disabling them didnt work. I've tried this a lot of times similar to the problem you are experiencing and simply taking off the internet security solves it . And in case you wre able to solve it by uninstalling the internet security. You can install them back anytime. Do these steps and let me know what happened.. Hope this works.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It is NOT a wireless connection/card.
I went into the card properties, but I could not anything relevant to change...

Turning off the firewall (windows firewall) did not do anything.

I still find it strange that I can work on the network through the router, but I cannot access the router with this computer...

I have previously uninstalled/reinstalled the network card driver with no result... kind of difficult to understand the issue here, for me anyway.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Does this computer have Vista?
I assumed that it is XP because of the OS listed by your user name.
If it is Vista, go in to network and sharing center and turn on network discovery.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It is XP.