Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unless you had very valuable data on the drives, I wouldn't bother with a RAID 0 data recovery service. A quote from the site can quickly explain why: "RAID configurations are taken on a case-by-case basis and can cost many thousands of dollars to recover."

Anyways, I imagine with a new motherboard (and therefore a new RAID controller), the RAIDed hard drives would not be recognized by the RAID controller. In this case, the RAID would need to be re-done, which would require the hard drives to be reformatted, and therefore the data would be wiped. A major disadvantage of RAID 0 is that the data stored on the hard drives is very easily lost through hardware failure. This is why it is not recommended to store any important data on a system employing RAID 0.

However, RAID 0 isn't all bad... It can increase performance pretty substantially. With two hard drives splitting the reading and writing work, you should theoretically get an 100% performance increase. Of course, this isn't the case because they have to wait for the RAID controller to tell them what to do. The better the RAID controller, the faster this will get accomplished. Another limiting factor is that files that are smaller than the stripe size aren't broken up, and therefore experience no performance benefit.

But anyways, my point is that if you are willing to risk your files, or able to back up the important ones regularly, then RAID 0 might be an acceptable risk for the performance benefit.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Old Board
ABIT AV8 (I could not find the make, but I think ASUS)...
Radeon 9600 XT Graphics Card (no onboard graphics)

New Board
Biostar NVidia GeForce 6100

The data is not so valuable that I would go third party... it is valuable enough though that I've put a lot of time into trying to get it back... I am surprised that a reinstall does not do enough to allow me entry into Windows... and from what I've googled, the gagp30kx.sys hang up is fairly common for many different issues... either that or no one knows what causes it.

I dont quite understand how raid 0 does not work the same from one mobo to another, maybe the size of the stripes?... I know when I configured raid on the mobo... I had to choose the first and second hard drive, the first time I chose it, the drives didn't do anything... the second time, I flipped the drives in raid configuration, and it started to load windows (I didn't check what it hung on then, but I'm guessing it was gagp30kx.sys just like after my repair install).

Anyway, if there is any other advice from anyone that I could try, that would be great, if not it looks like I'll be doing a clean install next...

Thnx so far for the advice :)