Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing & Uninstall Errors

• Please log in to reply

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have several problems with Windows. When I opened up the Printer menu under the Control Panel, my installed printers were not listed. I proceeded to click on install a new printer and Windows did nothing. I tried several times with no luck. I can occassionally print, but not always. If I'm printing from an application such as Word or Excel, I can seem to print, but typically I cannot from either IE or Firefox. I tried to run the installation CD that came with the printer and the installation crashed midway through.

I have another problem surface occassionally also. I'm not sure if it's related or not. Sometimes when trying to uninstall a program, I cannot do it. Windows tells me I must be the administrator...but I'm logged into an administrator account.

Also, once last week, I received a message stating something about my windows passcode being stolen. Is that possible and could all these items be related?

Thank you so much,

Buckeyefrank

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi buckeyefrank, welcome to G2G,

For the printer problem, open Services and see if the Print Spooler is running. If not start it.

To get to Services, click on Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter or click OK. Click on the Standard tab at the bottom, then scroll down to Print Spooler. If it's stopped, double click on it to open the Properties window. Make sure Startup type is set to Automatic then click on the Start button.

Click Apply then OK then close Services.

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you so much for the quick reply. The print spooler is set to start automatically and was on. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buckeyefrank

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good actually.

Read through this article. Follow the steps listed, see if that fixes the problem. My bet is a corrupted spool file or folder.

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't see the instructions. Am I overlooking them or did they not get attached?

Thank you so much.

Buckeyefrank

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry about that, forgot it :)

Here is the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the link. I'll try it after work tomorrow evening.

Buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to do what the link said, but it didn't work. The first step it mentioned was to delete the files in the c:\windows\system32\printer.... I don't have a system32 subdirectory showing. Could it be hidden? If so, how do I get to it?

I have an HP installed, but it's not listed in the printers. I tried to install a new Lexmark and received an error message. I went to the services menu and the lexmark service was on. I tried to disable it, but the print spooler is dependant upon the lexmark process. It won't turn back on unless the Lexmark process is enabled. I'm not sure how to get around this.

Also, I noticed in my c:\windows\twain32 a lexmark subdirectory for my printer. Do I want to delete this folder as well?

Thanks,

Buckeyefrank

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, it is a hidden system folder.

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That didn't work. I followed the steps on the link and I still have the problem, unfortunately. There was a link on microsofts website to reinstall the spoolsv.exe file. I did this also, but no luck. I restored all my directories back to the way they were.

Is it normal that the print spool service is dependant upon the lexmark service? Another bit of information that might help you. Upon installation of my new lexmark printer (about 2/3 through) I got an error message and it closed out. When I boot the computer, it detects a new piece of hardware...an imaging device and keeps trying to install it (I'm assuming the scanner/printer). The lexmark control center is in my quicklaunch icons also, but I can't launch it.

I really appreciate your help so far. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Buckeyefrank

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I had a lot of problems with my brothers new Lexmark printer. Ended up having to call them and get to tech who directed me to run a batch file from a folder on the Lexmark Printer Install CD to clean up the install completely. Once I did that then I was able to install the new printer.

You should call them and see if they can help. It's quite possible that is causing all your printer problems.

I also had problems with LexBCE but I don't remember if it was a service or a process starting at boot time.

buckeyefrank

buckeyefrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just went ahead and restored my computer. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but there were many more problems than just this. It was affecting my business.

Thanks for your help,

Buckeyefrank

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks for letting me know. Sometimes that is the best solution.