Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Info from Harddrive (broken laptop)

• Please log in to reply

xavierandmiasmommy

xavierandmiasmommy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently dropped my laptop (HP Omnibook XE3 - was running Windows ME on it) & broke it. When I dropped it I apparently broke it where the AC adapter goes in as it doesn't register as being connected. It also shows dead battery, even when it's fully charged. It will not stay on for more than a few minutes at the most. The problem is I have tons of pictures on there (baby pictures of my youngest) that I don't have copies of anywhere else so I really need to get them off if possible. I've called around local shops & have been told they will *probably* be able to do it (the pictures are still there I specifically checked really quick before the laptop shut down on me), though it's going to be quite costly whether it works or not. They all told me they just use an adapter to do it, so I'm wondering if there is just an adapter I can buy & do it myself? It would have to be something I could do that doesn't require the laptop to be on. I've tried looking online for something like this, but don't know what I'm exactly looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Stephanie

Edited by xavierandmiasmommy, 22 April 2005 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi xavierandmiasmommy,

Look on Ebay for a "laptop hard drive to pc adapter" and you will get hundreds come back nice and cheap, set the laptop drive as slave and you can access all files

xavierandmiasmommy

xavierandmiasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much!! :tazz:

Will I also need a special program to do this, or will I just have complete access to my photos as is? My intention is to burn them all onto CD's.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you use the adapter that usetobe suggested, then you won't need any special software or drivers. The drive should just appear in windows & give you access.

If you have any trouble getting one of these adapters, the other option (slightly more expensive) is a 2.5inch USB external caddy. You pop the laptop drive inside it & connect the caddy to the USB port of your PC.

xavierandmiasmommy

xavierandmiasmommy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wonderful!! Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the help!! :tazz:

Stephanie

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No problem.

Let us know if you have any difficulties or queries regarding it.