Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer problem

• Please log in to reply

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
For some reason my Windows Explorer will not open. I do have problems when I shut down at night that says it won't close and I have to try about 4 times until it closes. I was able to open WE by going to my control panel and opening up the help section and opening open windows newsgroups and it opens up that away. Has it gotten corrupted?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Windows explorer is really quite a robust application, and is what Window uses to open files and folders. If you can view "My Documents," "My Computer," or any other folder properly explorer.exe is working. Chances are that the shortcut on the desktop is faulty.

When you used that shortcut icon, how did WE open? That is, what directory was displayed for you? If you can explain exactly what you would like the shortcut to do, I can offer assistance with building a new shortcut that does what you want. We can even keep the "Explorer' icon if you choose.

Since WE is used for so much of the display of XP, it is involved in several activities at any one time, including showing the Desktop toolbars and icons. During shutdown, XP may need a little time to close everything properly. I would prefer to take things one at a time. Let's get your WE shortcut working, and then move on to shutdown if you like.

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I made up a short cut off the old WE and it's working fine so I guess the original one got corrupted? Oh and when I shut down and I have only used the short cut I don't get the error message about I explore.exe not responding.. my question for now is I usually go to my properties and delete cookies,history every night before I shut down..the short cut does not have that in the properties is there a way to put that in this new short cut or should I just use the old icon to delete cookies, history and just not try to open windows from that particular icon?

Edited by Mrs. SMB, 12 February 2008 - 12:13 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Now I discover that we've been talking apples and oranges.
WE-Windows Explorer is explorer.exe
IE- Internet Explorer is IEXPLORE.exe

It would seem that you've meant Internet Explorer all along?

To clear our your cookies and stuff each night, the easiest way is with CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Before you run it the first time, I suggest that you take the "Quick Tour" that is offered on that page. CCleaner will dump not only your history and cookies, but also a ton of unnecessary stuff that will free up space. CCleaner installs with a right click "Run CCleaner" choice for the Recycle Bin. I right click the Recycle bin and "Run CCleaner" each night before I shut down. Poof! All that junk is gone in one click.

CCleaner is quick, too. Only takes just a few seconds to do the job each day. The first time, of course, it will likely take longer as it 'finds' all the junk files that have never been removed. You might want to run it manually ( with interface) the first few times too get a feel for what it is doing. (Go ahead and delete the index.dat files. Not important to keep.)

Feel free to post back with anything else you need.

Mrs. SMB

Mrs. SMB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I actually have been using CCleaner every night so I was just double checking with you on that. Ok so I have been using the shortcut that I made off the bad IE icon on my desktop by right clicking it and making a short cut. However if I try to open another IE window after I have one open I might have to try it several times for it to get open. I look at my processes and it shows them but they are not opening. What is going on? I noticed that if I don't use the old IE icon there isn't a shut error message about the IE not responding,etc. If I can just get it to open all the time would be nice. Oh something else it may or may not have anything to do with this but I wonder if I am having mouse problems because it seems that if I tap it harder the window opens. Might just be the third try and it works or my mouse that is 5 years old...what do you think

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Shortcut of a shortcut. Kinda the long way 'round.
I suggest that you delete all the Internet Explorer icons from your Desktop. Then go to All Programs, right click the Internet Explorer icon and choose "Send to... Desktop(create shortcut)."
A new IE shortcut icon will appear on the Desktop and should work just fine.

If you are using IE7, no additional 'instances' of IE are necessary. Just right click the link you want and choose "Open in a new tab." 'Tabs' are really just "IE windows" without the necessity of running another instance of the program. You can have as many as you like, and just click the tab you want to see. The rest don't go away--just click the other (old) tab to see the page you just left.

Depending on your computer's specifications, multiple 'instances' of IEXPLORE.EXE may not "play together well."

Mice do wear out. 5 years is a good lifespan. I very much like the Microsoft optical wheel mouse. Works on almost any surface without a pad, and seems to be compatible with almost all systems. Do remember that the "click" is "read" upon release. It's the 'upstroke" that really counts. I just got into the habit of pressing down firmly and releasing sharply. Works much better.

Let us know about your progress.
We want people to have good computing experiences.