Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is very sluggish and buggy

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Recently my computer has been very sluggish and slow to respond. It takes a long time to boot up now, displaying the XP loading screen for a prolonged period then often going to a completely black screen before showing the XP loading screen again for anoter minute or two.

The mouse is often very jerky and unsmooth, sometimes the cursor freezes completely but the control is still there. I can move it to the corner of the screen and see the buttons light up (minimize, close etc) while the mouse cursor is still frozen elsewhere on the screen. It can also be slow to respond to typing taking a couple of seconds for every few letters. Another problem is that when im playing music it's broken up and stutters.

Also, my cpu usage seems to be a lot higher than i remember. Sometimes up to around 40% when just browsing the internet/files. And the cpu usage that it says in task manager often doesn't correspond with the processes running. For example the cpu usage of the processes listed can add up to about 10/20 but task manager wil say its 40 or 50%.

Im not entirely sure what the problem is. I've ran Ad-aware, AVG and Spy-bot which have all removed a couple of low risk items but the problem still remains.

Any Ideas? Thanks

PC Specs:

Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Intel P4 LGA 775 3.4Ghz
Asus P5LD2-VM Mobo
Evga 7800GT 256mb pci-e
80,80,160, S-ATA HDD's
Onboard audio

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok, thanks a lot