Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install windows

• Please log in to reply

Areten

Areten

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried to dual-boot Vista and XP and instead of xp installed win 2000.. After removing win 2000 from vista and doing some more mistakes operation system stoped working. Vista goes through installation process, reboots says "press any key to boot from cd or dvd" and that's where it stays. It just refuses to continue on with the installation process, and if you do press any key it restarts the installation process. Same thing happens for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Had to format everything but that still didn't help. Anyone knows what might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
What was installed originally in your computer?

How old is the computer?

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Originally Vista was installed. Computer is about 4 years old. Motherboard: p4p800-x

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Download and copy the correct Bios to disc and boot with it in the computer.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

If your computer has a 3.5 floppy disc, copy it to a 3.5 floppy disc, if not copy it to a cd. Without any folders, it should just be files.

Under Bios you will find the last one is most likely the bios you had with the computer originally.

The others are updates and betas. Although you may want to try the updates and beta bios, if the original one doesn't boot. But it should.

Keep moving up the bios ladder untill you get a bootup from your machine.
The newer bios downloads are updates for various problems.

After the bios is 'flashed' and you get an option to go into the bios with the delete button or whatever it says.
No need to go into the bios, so load your vista cd and reboot.

If however you have a 3.5 floppy disc drive on your computer, you may need to go into the bios and set it to boot from the cd. It should be the second or third set of Bios options. Press f10, it will save and reboot.

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you cmpm, that did help.. Only i couldn't run those bios updates from the website. I found my original motherboard cd and it worked.. But there is a problem.. Everything worked fine, vista was installed and worked well. Then i tried to dual boot again using windows XP now and something went wrong.. On startup it said No operation system so I went back to running windows install and removed partition that i've precreated for XP. Then i quit the installation hoping that vista would run now and after restart computer just freezes at screen where it says P4P800-X, Pentium 4 press del to run setup. When i press delete nothing happens and it goes no further than that screen. Only if i press it really fast just when computer starts it gets me to American Megatrends page where i can't do anything except press F8 to run some BBS Popup. I tried to put CD's with bios and windows but it doesnt even go to them..

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
hmmm....

Start another thread about trouble loading a dual boot system.
I'm pretty lost on that unless you have two hard drives.

I just wanted to get you back to where you were.
Which we did, but now there is new problems.

So a new thread would be in order, so that others would look at it also.

Try to to get it back to Vista like it was.
Don't try to dual boot without help.
There's something you need that someone here can give.

good luck

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
guide to dual boot vista and xp is here..
follow the guide (including the partitioning) and you should not have any problems...

Edited by happyrck, 13 February 2008 - 09:30 AM.

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
happyrick, thats the exact same guide that i followed. Probably problem was in my XP cd...

Edited by Areten, 14 February 2008 - 05:44 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Originally Vista was installed. Computer is about 4 years old. Motherboard: p4p800-x

Vista could not have been originally installed four years ago.
Is this the same as This post?.