Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck@Post screen

• Please log in to reply

zhadows

zhadows

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I just recently built a new PC. DS3L mobo/GTS/P182 Case etc.

I installed all the components, close my case back up, I boot it up and I get to my main screen (Shows Gigabyte logo and options)

Problem is, it gives me options to hit I.E. F12 for Bios etc. BUT I keep hitting those keys on my keyboard and nothing happens. As if my keyboard were non-responsive. It does work, i tried out 2 differing keyboards. It also lights up twice when I am turning off my PC, so it is alive. But I keep smashing my keys and no go.

Please help, thanks.

P.S.: Also tried a different slower RAM, but no go still.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had a similar problem with a build i was doing with a tiger direct intel 3.0 barebones kit. I was getting to the intel logo screen and no further. So i decided to start replacing parts( my luxury by owning a computer shop)and found that the second hand hard drive was causing the problem. I replaced the drive with another and could then get to the bios, where i could not beforehand. What i was trying to do was set the bios to boot from the cdrom drive first so i could install XP on the system. You obviously have graphics, so the Motherboard is working, and the graphics is working. Now it is time to replace the other hardware in the system until you find the problem.

SRX660

zhadows

zhadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice.

I called up Gigabyte and told them the problem, they had me reset the CMOS about 15 times, change my RAM (good thing I had a few saved up) and then finally he told me it was probably a bad Mobo. Yay shipping cost+15% restocking fee. I guess it's time to try Asus.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Yay shipping cost+15% restocking fee

And thats a new board? That don't sound right, Abit,Asus will replace the board free within the 3 year warranty, even cross ship for a 100 bucks or so refundable deposit.

Can't you RMA it to the retailer?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What CPU do you have?
James

zhadows

zhadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
E8400.

I am going to RMA it to the vendor because I still have time since I recently received it. I've read reviews on Gigabyte RMA and I hear it takes a month or so, might as well take a 10$ hit then wait a month. Recently ordered an asus P5K-E, hopefully this works :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The board has no hardware fault, the BIOS doesn't support your CPU. Go to a local vendor and ask them to update your BIOS, the older BIOS doesn't support the new Wolfdale processors (the one you have).
You'll have the same issues with the ASUS board if it was manufactured before a certain date.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 February 2008 - 10:31 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To confirm this can you see the BIOS version anywhere on the screen? I'm 99% sure this is your problem.
James

zhadows

zhadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The DS3L is supposed to natively run the E8400, I have the latest revision of the board {Rev. 2}.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nope.
http://www.giga-byte...?ProductID=2629
In fact it seems the P35-DS3L is still in beta testing for the Wolfdale CPU's. So you will not have that BIOS right now, I can guarantee it as they'd never ship a motherboard with a beta BIOS.
Again, that Asus board will have the same issue.
James

zhadows

zhadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

I am just curious, then why are all these people reviewing that the same motherboard worked out of the box w/ the E400 w/o a Flash update? I mentioned my processor to the Gigabyte tech w/ the Motherboard revision and he did not suggest a BIOS Flash or mentioned it at all.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I don't have a personal experience, but some seem like they will work while others will not. I think this has everything to do with the time frame in which the motherboard was constructed as the latest BIOS is uploaded onto the "BIOS chip" on your motherboard when it is constructed. My understanding is that if you have F5 BIOS or lower you'll have issues. I'd suggest e-mailing them through their tech support and ask them if the Wolfdale processors require a specific BIOS version or better to properly operate.
Though this could easily be a faulty motherboard as well, though it's difficult to rule one out over the other if you don't know if there is a BIOS requirement to run the wolfdale CPU's.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 February 2008 - 02:38 PM.