Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop suddenly dies with gaming.

• Please log in to reply

mark2512

mark2512

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,
I had a bit of scare today when half way through a game by laptop suddenly turned off dead, as if I'd pressed the power button. Its done it a couple of times now both while on games. When it happens I cant restart it straight away but have to leave it for a few minutes and then try again. The laptops not particually old, just over 1 year. Do you think it could be over heating? It does get very hot. If so is there anyway to alleviate it?

Cheers,
Mark

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Mark

Yes, it's almost certainly overheating. Can you tell me which laptop you have please?

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,
Heres the laptops specs:
Acer Aspire 5684WLMi
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 - 1.83GHz (x2), 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048MB DDR2-667MHz
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 5400rpm
Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10)with CrystalBrite Technology
Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go7600SE supporting 128MB TurboCache
Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g Networking
Bluetooth: Bluetooh Enabled
Weight: 2.8kg
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition
Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000
Flash Memory Card Reader (MMC, MS, MS-pro, SD, XD)
PCMCIA Type II Slot
ExpressCard Slot
S-Video Output
DVI Output
Firewire Port
Built-In 1.3 MegaPixel Camera
Free Bluetooth VOIP Phone

Its never done it before except today. Does overheating cause any permanent damage? Is it possible to buy docks or anything to allow better ventalation or something?

Cheers

Edited by mark2512, 12 February 2008 - 05:12 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Lol, you've just given me every conceivable piece info apart from the one thing I want...All I want to know is the laptop's make & model (eg Toshiba Satellite P30 for example)

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Lol, ye i realised that. You must have read it before I editted it. its an Acer Aspire 5684WLMi.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries.

Ok, after trawling Acers unbelievably slow website, I was able to find no useful information at all except that it appears your laptop has 3 ventilation areas - one on the side, one on the back & one underneath where the fan is.

The easiest was to clean these is be using a can of compressed air to clear out any dust etc that may lurking in there. Just blow the air through each of the vents. Also check that the fan on underside is working ok. NB This may only come on after the laptop reaches a certain temperature so don't panic if it doesn't come on right away or if it doesn't stay on the whole time.

I assume there's no temperature monitoring utility on your laptop, right? If there isn't, then try hmonitor:
http://www.majorgeek...nitor_d269.html

or NHC:
http://www.pbus-167.com/

If one of these is able to monitor the cpu temperature, then I suggest you use it to keep an eye on the temps for a while, especially whilst running a game etc. Let me know what sort of temperatures you are getting.

RE. your previous questions:
Obviously overheating can cause permanent damage, especially to the cpu. However, the reason the system shuts down automatically is to try & prevent damage. That said, repeated overheating, even when the system shuts down to prevent damage, still won't do it much good!

Apart from cleaning out the vents, also make sure you always place the laptop on a flat surface (i.e not directly on your lap, or on the bed/cushion etc). This is important, especially with laptops that have the fan+vent on the underside (like yours does).

If all else fails, then you can buy an external laptop cooler, such as the one in the link below:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0000BVYTV

mark2512

mark2512

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok i downloaded hmonitor. While on the desktop i got a temp on the CPUs of around 48-50 degrees.

While playing Call of Duty 4 on medium specs it rose as high as 93 degrees. Also i checked the fan and it was working, although the air flow didnt seem particually strong, but then again I never knew how strong it was supposed to be.

I never actually use my laptop on my lap, always on my desk.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just a bit warm then! I think we can safely assume that the shut down was caused by overheating. I strongly recommend you buy some compressed air to clean the dust out. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out anything else about that particular laptop that may be useful...