Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to resize C:, and not have to reinstall

• Please log in to reply

yazuki101

yazuki101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was wondering if there is some way to resize my C: drive, w/o having to clear both and c: and my d: and reinstall windows. Or barring that, could I compress my current windows settings (desktop, files, software, etc) and burn it to a DVD, then some how use that to save time (as opposed to reinstalling all my programs and such). Currently, I have about 12GB dedicated to the c:, and the rest of the my 80GB drive is the d:, my problem is that when I try to run photoshop all the temp files created (scratch disk?) fill up my c:.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Symantec Partition Magic is your friend here. I bought "Norton Ghost10-Ghost2003-Partition Magic" package off Ebay for $19 one month ago. I tried PM on a customer computer that, like you, wanted a bigger "C" partition. It worked like a charm with no problems to date( this was done almost a full month ago).

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Within Vista you can do this, otherwise a utility such as Partition Magic will be needed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
WARNING! Partition Magic has been known to trash hard drives so it is imperative that you backup your data first, just in case.

I've used it successfully several times but have also had two occasions where it totally corrupted the partition table to the point I had to delete all partitions, re-partition and start over again. If I did not not have a good, current backup I would have been in a world of hurt!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....if you don't want to buy a software package....check out GParted it's open source (so it's free) and it can do everything partition magic can do.....as well as modifying linux partitions etc... their documentation is extremely effective so read that first

also....as ZTrucker stated you should deffinitely backup everything you need, also run a chkdisk on the drive and defrage before you repartition anything

hansh

hansh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Within Vista you can do this, otherwise a utility such as Partition Magic will be needed.

I may wish to try that on my VISTA HP machine, could you point me to some reliable instructions, please??

Tx :)

Edited by hansh, 19 March 2008 - 07:37 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Many here: http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

hansh

hansh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Ztruker, that's a lot of reading on a rainy day! :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Here is a quick guide with pics
Resize with vista

hansh

hansh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
peterm, much appreciated! It looks a bit easier than reading through many pages of different experiences.

Have a great Easter everybody!

:)