Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

software problem I think

• Please log in to reply

draws

draws

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, here's the problem I'm having my computer cuts off every time I burn a dvd with Nero Vision 7 and when I try to .rar a file it stops at about 23% and the computer cuts off. I tried updating Nero but that didn't work, so I am all out of options, I even tried to system restore back to a later date that didn't even work. Any help would be appreciated..... Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Are you sure its a .RAR file? These files are not DVD videos or files, they're effectively a variation on the ZIP file.

draws

draws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm saying when I try to zip a file thru winrar the computer shuts down completely to, just like when I tey to burn a dvd thru nero same thing happens again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a lot of other programs running at the same time...if so try doing only one thing to see if it will work by itself...
no joy..

Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system crashing..hanging...BSOD.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...

lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

NOTE...if you have any problems running memtest... Windows Memory Diagnostic may run the tests....you can get it here..

draws

draws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try memtest...

give us the make and model # of your computer..

draws

draws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sorry to say the computer has died, it turned out to be more than what I thought it was it stop booting up it said system 32 windows error, so I did some research and tried to follow some steps but that didn't work. To make a long story short I completely restore the computer and nothing happened, the computer still had some registries errors and windows had to shut down, so im taking it back to the store where I work and get me a brand new computer with I guess: :) VISTA :) , the computer I had was acer aspire 5610-4179

Edited by draws, 15 February 2008 - 03:43 PM.