Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A simple vid. card lesson, please?... :/

• Please log in to reply

Nupek

Nupek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I was just wondering how to choose a right video card for my pc (media center m7060n hp) and which vid. cards i could eliminate out of a list. So far i just know that there is integrated, dedicated, and 128, 256, 512 and so on. Im pretty sure i have a 128 integrated built into my mobo atm. But how do you tell the difference between, for example the cards on newegg - http://www.newegg.co...ame=Video-Cards
Im probably looking at a price range of 70-130$. What is possible to get in that price range?

Thanks

Advertisements

Student101

Student101

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Welcome to G2G

well a determining factor is what slot your motherboard has. Do you have a PCI PCI-Express or an AGP slot. Then what are you going to use it for? gaming? Video Capture? Answer these questions and we can narrow down the list of what you can buy

Student101

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
A good way to compare is to look at the core clock speed and memory clock speed of the cards. Something else you could try is Tom's Hardware VGA Charts to compare performance directly.

I agree with Student101. You need to know what video card slot you have (PCI, AGP, PCI-Express). Note: PCI is NOT the same as PCI-Express. According to the HP website, it looks like you only have PCI available. But, make sure to confirm that.

Also, it would be handy to tell us why you want to upgrade. Better games? ...movies? ...pictures? ...video capture? Usually a new video card will only have an noticeable effect on games, and very little effect on pictures.

Something often overlooked, check your power supply. See what the wattage is. Alot of video cards will list a MINIMUM POWER SUPPLY WATTAGE REQUIREMENT. Make sure you get the one that will work with your power supply.

Happy hunting! :)