Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading from vista to XP, need help finding drivers

• Please log in to reply

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi there,

I recently decided to dual boot my system with Vista and XP (my system came with Vista pre-installed). The model number is A135-S4467. Everything installed without a hitch, and I got it to dual boot perfectly the way I wanted it to, but then it hit me that I had absolutely no drivers for the XP boot. Display and keyboard and mouse (USB interface, I guess) worked fine as it was probably plug-and play.

However, the ethernet as well as the wireless stubbornly refused to install. I had downloaded XP drivers from the manufacturer's website, but they didn't work. I should mention at this point that at the Toshiba support/driver download page, once I narrowed the search criteria to "XP Pro" only one irrelevant search result came up.

Any ideas? At this point the ethernet/wireless driver is the most important. If I can get either one of the two to work, I could stop re-booting every time I wanted to use the internet to find a driver, download it, transfer it to a USB driver, then installing it once I booted to XP. That would mean that I could find all the other drivers using software that automatically detects hardware and connects to the internet and finds updates. (:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am lost here. Thanks!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You may have some trouble finding the drivers that you need.
May I offer an inexpensive solution?
A USB NIC cost around $25.00.
At least this will allow you to connect to the Internet with out rebooting.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just an FYI, I have seen other posts where they were having trouble finding drivers for XP when they took Vista off their computers.
There was 1 poster where the computer manufacturer specifically stated that the comp could not be downgraded.

The nic card is the way to go for internet though.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been reading up on this because i have a customer laptop that has the same problem. Heres something you can try as last resort. I have read that the boingo software works with the toshiba embedded wireless ethernet( IntelPRO/Wireless 3945ABG hardware). All you need to do is change the setting to match your wireless network. It seem to work better than the intel drivers which i have already tried and am finding them to be a bit flaky. Here, also is the intel drivers.

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

You do not need a boingo account to use their software. I am trying this software out as soon as i can get to the laptop Again. Unfortunately i had to return the laptop with the flaky Intel drivers.

SRX660

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have been reading up on this because i have a customer laptop that has the same problem. Heres something you can try as last resort. I have read that the boingo software works with the toshiba embedded wireless ethernet( IntelPRO/Wireless 3945ABG hardware). All you need to do is change the setting to match your wireless network. It seem to work better than the intel drivers which i have already tried and am finding them to be a bit flaky. Here, also is the intel drivers.

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

You do not need a boingo account to use their software. I am trying this software out as soon as i can get to the laptop Again. Unfortunately i had to return the laptop with the flaky Intel drivers.

SRX660

Wow, I've posted my cry for help on three forums but this is the only one that worked. Thanks SRX660. By the way it's the intel one that worked, not boingo. It might've; I just didnt bother installing once the intel one worked

dataalliance

dataalliance

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off hi to all. My name is stuart and I run a small (me myself and I) consulting firm in central NJ. I am a tech / engineer who goes all the way back to remembering thinking that the IBM AT rocked 25 years or so. I also installed many Novell 2.1 servers way back then. (most of the newbies are saying what is he talking about) This is my first post here.

Here is my input, and that chipset has a . Each computer has a chipset. This chipset has a manufacturer SEPARATE from the puter manufacturer. A worthwhile starting point for the install will be seeing if they have an XP chipset driver.

If you are willing to try experminenting, you can sometimes substitute a server 2003 similar driver for the missing driver. This has worked numerous times.

To install where there is no Sata drivers present here is my trick. When installing the operating system(s) attach the drives onto a basic PCI disk controller that you can usually buy online. Then allow the computer to auto discover the existing disk controller. After this you usually have yourself a fine working piece of computing machinery running XP.