Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Fan too loud...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,

I just got a great deal on a Toshiba P105-s9337 17". Core2Duo T7200, 2GB, 7900GS......etc. Everything looks great, but I seem to be having a problem with one of the fans. From the moment I hit the power button to the moment I shut down there is a fan (I can't really tell which fan) that will go to MAX RPMs for about 3-4 seconds and then stop, then MAX, then stop, on and on.... So, while I am using it I hear a constant WHIRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrr.

It's really annoying and I really want to fix it because I love the rest of the machine, but this loud fan would be enough to return the thing. I read recently that I am not alone. It seems to also be a common problem (which Toshiba won't admit is a problem) with this series of notebook.

My question is, does anyone know of any fan controlling software that I could use to monitor and control the fan speed? I have already tried Rivatuner, Notebook Hardware Control, and SpeedFan with no luck. I couldn't find anything else so I thought I'd try here. Any ideas?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
You can try Speedfan.
However, the fan may be speeding up because the laptop is getting hot.
Try using canned air (air compressors are too powerful) to clean the dust out of the vents.
You may also want to consider a laptop cooler.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

You can try Speedfan.

I already tried SpeedFan. The problem with it is that it reads all the temperatures but when I click on the "Fans" tab there is nothing listed. Toshiba probably disabled the access to fan control. I am just hoping there is a way around that.

the fan may be speeding up because the laptop is getting hot.

Yeah, but like I said, this fan behavior starts from a cold boot-up (i.e. fan starts acting up even before POST, or in my case, before I see the Toshiba logo). Although, maybe it's just the temps are too high from the start.

You may also want to consider a laptop cooler.

Already have one. I forgot to mention it.

I appreciate the input, though. Thanks. :)