Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rootkit and trojan horses [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

darko2021

darko2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok here is what it says. A device or hook is trying to install. If you are currently in the process of installing system software, device drivers or a new usb device, or you are debugging software, you are safe to allow this action. Otherwise, this may be an unauthorized type of software called a rootkit. Rootkits are advanced programs that drill perminantly into your computer's operating system. An effective rootkit cannot be removed without erasing your computer. Rootkits can compromise your computer's security and violate your privacy. Under this message there is an option to either cancel or allow the installation. I have always checked cancel. It doesn't give me any other option to see where the rootkit is located.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Like I said you can ignore it

Your logs are clean

Follow the steps in my previous post

darko2021

darko2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok thank you for the help. Do you know why I am getting the message on booting up that says my computer has changed?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
That is more than likely due to some change in MSConfig

Click Start > Run > Type msconfig > Click ok > Click Normal Startup > Click Apply > Click Ok > Restart your PC

If that doesn't work then make a new topic in the Windows XP forum

Let me know if you have any more questions

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.