Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Desktop will not Boot Windows

• Please log in to reply

MollyM

MollyM

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello-

My family computer appears to have crashed. Unfortunately, I am not around to take a look at it myself, so I can only report the symptoms they have described to me:

Sometimes says that the keyboard is locked up.
Says to run in safe mode and disengage the BIOS memory and cache. However, it won’t even allow safe mode or any other mode including “debugging” or last known configuration.
Brings up blue screen after trying each of these.

They are calling Dell customer service today, but I'm wondering if anyone here could give me an idea of what may be up. Does this sound like some sort of a virus or a hard drive crash?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
it depends what blue screen error you are using. Blue screens can cause a lot of things. Hardware failure, Applications, drivers and Windows OS, or windows files itself. If you post the blue screen error here we can help you better.

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi-

I asked about the blue screen and they said it said something along the lines of: "There is a problem with your computer and windows has been shut down to prevent damage"

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hi MollyM

Are these the same computers? LINK

kind regards,

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
We need the following to further assist you with the problem:

FILE INVOLVED or COMMON VERBAL NAME

Common Verbal Name
Start at the top, below the error description and suspect file. The following is the abbreviated verbal message.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

This abbreviated description serves as a common verbal name for the error described by the blue screen.

the STOP CODE?

Stop Code
In the next section down labeled “Technical information,” the first piece of information is a bug code, or “stop code,” you can use to reference the error. The stop code consists of five strings of alphanumeric characters. The stop code from the example is:

STOP 0x0000005

Stop Code

The first string outside the parentheses serves as a label for the error and is often abbreviated to the first two characters (0x) and the last two characters (50), so the code in the example is referred to as 0x50. The strings of characters inside the parentheses provide further details about the error.

[b]What is the DRIVER OR LIBRARY INVOLVED:

Driver or Library Involved
The next piece of technical information names the driver or library file that was running when the system crashed. This information can help eliminate unrelated causes and possibly resolve the issue. If a driver or library file has become corrupt, and there’s no physical memory problem, then replacing the damaged file with an intact copy may alleviate the problem.

example : nv4_disp.dll

The memory address where the fault occurred and time at which it happened are also listed. It’s possible, though unlikely, that physical components where vital data is stored are damaged or failing. Remember, the majority of blue screen errors are caused by faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Identify and repair the driver before you decide to dispatch and replace hardware.

These are the informations we need to know if you have a blue screen error.

Edited by wytboy55, 13 February 2008 - 04:10 PM.

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Tallin.

No, that post isn't about the same computer, but these posts are.

http://www.geekstogo...851#entry139851

http://www.geekstogo...931#entry144931

Wytboy55-
I don't have that information right now. I'll ask them to write it down. At the very least, I'll get it when I head over to take a look in a few days.
Dell has them running some diagnostic checks now.

Thank you both for your help.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
What i can tell is that if DELL TECHNICIANS found out that there is no hardware problem on your computer. Just to set your expectations. The next thing they're gonna do is to reformat your hard drive and reinstall your Operating System. Trust me i know.

MollyM

MollyM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi-

Thank you both for your help! I just heard back that it was a problem with the registry and whatever Dell had them do took care of it.

Thanks again!

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
That is good news, MollyM - thanks for posting back and letting us know.

kind regards,

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
you're welcome! it;s always a pleasure to help people.