Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best single core processor ever?

• Please log in to reply

arpalermo

arpalermo

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was assuming it was one of the P4 HT's because they get to like 3.8ghz... but apparently theres more to it than the clock rate. What other things do you have to consider? I know theres the cache, and the side bus... anything else i should take into consideration? But most importantly whats the best single core processor?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is the best of the single cores.

Pentium Extreme Edition 965

Frequency 3.73 GHz

Packaging 775-pin PLGA

Vcore 1.25-1.4 V

Bus frequency 1066 MHz

Typical heat dissipation 130 W

Core stepping C1

L2 cache 2 MB + 2 MB

Production process 65 nm

Hyper-Threading Technology Yes

EM64T (Enhanced Memory 64 Technology) Yes

Why bother with this when you can get the dual cores easier. Intel is phasing out the Single cores and has already stopped production on them.

SRX660

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I was assuming it was one of the P4 HT's because they get to like 3.8ghz... but apparently theres more to it than the clock rate. What other things do you have to consider? I know theres the cache, and the side bus... anything else i should take into consideration? But most importantly whats the best single core processor?

Just out of curiosity, why are you limiting your CPU selection to single core processors? On todays market, dual core CPUs retail for less then $100.
James

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Motherboard is a socket 478, and it does not support dual cores.

Even with the 3.73 Prescott processor he will have to overclock the FSB to 800 and that could cause problems. It would be far easier to buy a MB-cpu combo and install it but that was not the question he was asking.

SRX660

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

It would be far easier to buy a MB-cpu combo and install it but that was not the question he was asking.

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest.
James