Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

dvea

dvea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I turn the PC on, and the Dell logo comes up but then it goes to a blank screen with just a blinking cursor on top left. I tried hitting f8 as it is loading, but nothing at all happens. It may be my hard drive. My daughter mentioned that she saw some trojan virus warnings a few days earlier.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dvea...

Do you have the Dell operating system cd that came with the machine?

wannabe1

dvea

dvea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I do, but the original operating system was Windows Me and I upgrade to XP. I have that disc as well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The XP upgrade disk will be fine... :)

Boot the machine with the XP cd in the drive (watch for the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd"...press the spacebar when you see it). It will load some files and end up at the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press the R key to access Recovery Console. Select the operating system you wish to repair by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the system prompt (C:\WINDOWS>), type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

This will start a long check of the HDD and the file system. Be patient...let it finish. When the check completes and you see the system prompt again, type exit and press "Enter". Let the machine try to boot to Windows.

If things don't go as I've described, please let me know where things differed and what messages you saw on the screen.

dvea

dvea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok. I got the machine to boot up and I am on the desktop, but now there are a ton of Trojan Virus warnings and warnings about a BHO?(browser help object)

What now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now you have the experts help you clean the malware off the machine... :)

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.