Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System not shutting down-think it's resolved but not sure

• Please log in to reply

cjwannabputersavy

cjwannabputersavy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I originally posted in Windows XP forum. Here was my problem. I could not shut down Windows XP. I did not have my Add/Remove programs come up when I clicked on the icon. I did not have Auto updates come up when I clicked on the icon. (Note: I have CA Security Suite running on my computer.) Thus far I have placed the UPHCleanup utility on my system. That didn't solve the problem. Next I started the steps outlined on the Malware forum. I have done the ATF-Cleaner, placed a single restore point and deleted all previous ones and have run the AVG Anti-Spyware on my system in safe mode while keeping my CA Security Suite Anti-virus and Anti-spyware disabled. The scan didn't generate any reports but found 41 traces of spyware. The ones that were visible were tracking cookies. My system is now working. I can shut down. My Auto Updates is working and I have updated today. My Add/Remove Programs is now generating a list. My question is: should I continue with the steps to take before posting a HiJackthis log just to be sure I'm probably clean or should I stop here and assume I got rid of whatever was causing the problem? Would I still need to post a HiJackThis log if I do all the steps posted?

Sorry!!! I put this in the wrong forum. Can this post/topic get deleted?

Edited by cjwannabputersavy, 13 February 2008 - 10:50 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Sorry!!! I put this in the wrong forum. Can this post/topic get deleted?

That is ok. Just post a new topic in the malware forum, with your Hijackthis log.
One of the malware experts will help you there.
It is best to let them look at your log to make sure that you are clean of the infections.

cjwannabputersavy

cjwannabputersavy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the help. I reposted in the Malware forum. I'll run the HiJackThis and post that in there as well. Thanks so much for getting back to me.