Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer won't connect, but messenger does?

• Please log in to reply

shemightbedani

shemightbedani

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I try to load Internet Explorer, nothing will come up as if I dont have an internet connection, but my Yahoo Messenger works. Our other computer shares the same modem but its internet works fine. I've checked the IP and it shows everything is okay, that I'm connected. I've also renewed the Ip address (ipconfig/renew). I've checked for loose wires and can't find anything. I've unplugged the modem and turned it back on again, and still nothing!! whats the deal? I'm running Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7, Cable (comcast), with a Dell Dimension E510.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In IE7, go to Tools>Internet Options - click 'Connections' tab. Click 'LAN Settings'. All three checkboxes in this dialog-box should be UNticked for the majority of home internet users. That was my problem anyway until I compared those settings on two computers (one with IE not working, the other okay). Soon as I discovered the different connection settings on each PC and made them both the same, bingo!

Edited by pip22, 21 February 2008 - 10:17 AM.